Sharp knife like pain through lower knee 1 year after PKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI All

For the past 4 weeks I have had a very sharp knife like pain through the bottom of my knee where it meets the tibia. It is so painful I am almost unable to walk. Its hard to describe but its as if something is sticking a sharp bit into another part of the knee. (I know it doesn't make sense!) I had a partial medial knee replacement exactly 1 year ago (20 June 2017) and although it has been painful, just like everyone else on here (especially the first 5 months) this is something Very different. It isn't hot or swollen or red but very painful to touch it. I have been overusing it a bit as I had my other knee done three months ago and so it was taking the weight. But I was back at the gym (very mild exercise to build back up) and thought everything was going well I now need 2 crutches to walk, and today it almost seems the new one is going the same way.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have an appointment with the surgeon but I  am worried either the implant is loose or its an infection (I have had 2 ear infections in the last 3 months).

I am really just having a rant and not expecting any answers but I am so frightened and my friends and family are probably completely fed up of me as this knee journey has now been three years. (Anthroscopy, then right PKR then left PKR) Even I am tired of the knee conversations and very fed up of being incapacitated and in pain.

I just don't know whether to exercise and fight through the pain, or rest as I might be doing more damage. I haven't a clue.

Hope everyone else is enjoying this great weather, just bought a sun lounger to take advantage of it.

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh mercy, you have had a lot going on.  But Im like you in one respect. I get tired of talking about my TKR and I know my friends andfamily get tired of hearing about it!  I am alnost 5 mths po and thought I would be breezing through life now., but I am not, sadly.   Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thank you Martha for your encouragement.

I too thought this knee journey would be considerably better than it has been. I don't suppose anyone would have it done if they heard the horror stories upfront.

I am an optimistic person by nature and always think things will work out, especially if you put in the work. I have been putting in the work but I have to say this is dampening my usually sunny nature. 

I hope things turn out well for you too.

• Posted

CALL YOUR DOCTOR, please!!

• Posted

I have made an appointment with the surgeon but it is never fast. So can't see him until next week. My local GP was less than sympathetic when I mentioned it at the time of my ear infection.

Just keeping my fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi tricia

Best advise I can give you is rest up as much as you can at least until you have seen your surgeon best of luck.

Johnny.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Johnny.

I will do my best to rest although resting isn't something I'm good at😏. 

The pain when weight bearing is definitely slowing me down though.

Tricia

• Posted

Me neither but you can push yourself to far as I have found out a few times over the last 20 months since my TKR a good rest and just gentle exercise can sometimes help I hope you get the answers you want and the pain goes away soon.

Johnny.

• Posted

Well I have seen the surgeon. The good news is, the implant hasn't moved nor is it infected.

However, the pain is apparently PFPS (????) Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome caused by a condition called Chondromalacia Patella.. Where the cartilage on the underside of the kneecap softens and breaks down leading to inflammation of the synovium and PAIN in the underlying bone.

The surgeon has told be not aggravate it with squats or overuse like too much bike work.   How on earth do I build up muscle now!

He said it can take 2 years for a partial uncemented knee to settle down (a far cry from his original estimate of three months!) So basically I put up with the flare ups, which can happen at any time (or not) and in 2 years time he will put a camera in and wash out the loose bits of cartilage.

The surgeon is still adamant that he made the right decision in doing a partial as there is nothing wrong with the outside (lateral) part of the knee.

Time will tell folks.

Thank you for all your advice.

• Posted

Oh by the way - the pain has indeed settled down with rest! My knee just doesn't like longer walks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.