Sharp Pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with Bronchiectasis (1 day ago!) and it has been a great comfort to read about other people and their experiences with this condition and knowing that I'm not alone.   

I'm 24 and it is actually a relief to finally know what has been causing me to constantly get sick.  I say this as in the past I have experienced various chest infections, EB virus, Bronchitis (several times) and pneumonia.  Right now I have an infection that I've been trying to shake off for the last 6 weeks.  Unfortunately I am allergic to many antibiotics which can make it difficult. 

As part of bronchiectasis many of you know about that lovely cough. I am able to have at least 10 minutes without coughing but when I do it can get to the point where I choke and am physically ill.  Today I woke up with a sharp pain near my shoulder blade and was wondering if any of you have experienced this? Is the cough the cause? 

Many Thanks,

Justine

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

justine, I always assume the pain is mucous built up in that area.  As you get rid of the gunk, it should go away.  At least that is what I have experienced.  Hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

Hello Justine

I'm sorry that you havebeen feeling so unwell.  I wonder if the pain is muscular due to the severe coughing you are experiencing?

Whenever I've had a bad coughing session, I normally try honey and lemon in warm water.  That seems to calm it down.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Justine, yes I think it can be due to the amount of coughing, which must put a strain on the chest, neck, shoulders, in fact most of the body. I know sometimes my poor husband can cough for such a long time before he ever produces anything another time the mucus can come up quite easily, each day can be so different. Xxx
  • Posted

Hello justine.  I get this horrid pain too to the front of my shoulder.  I've had it several times and it is very painful.  I find it hard to lay down and can't breath deeply at all.  It's a bit like pleurisy.  I'm not sure what causes it but I can't do my "exercises" when I have it.  I take painkillers and find it usually only lasts about 48 hours.  I hope yours doesn't last and that you're soon feeling well again.  Anne
  • Posted

There are various things that can cause the various pains that we seem to get. Coughing is one - you can sprain a muscle! The intercostal muscles between the ribs are particularly prone to this. You can even get a condition of chronic inflammation of the ligaments that attach the intercultural muscles to the sternum.  The lungs themselves have no pain sensors - so they aren't usually  responsible- but the pleura that surrounds the lungs does. So if the infection goes there, that'll cause pai. You can also get pleural plaques, inflamed areas of the pleura that can rub on the surrounding surfaces. That can be sore. Pleural pain classically is associated with a big breath in. Another source of pain that can happen is when you have a collapse of one of the tiny air-sacs at the very end of the lungs. This can happen with mucal plugging or inflammation etc. 

So, in answer to your question, yes it could be from the cough. It could also be from a whole bunch of other things. Which is probably why, when I told my consultant about the various pains in various places, he looked at me sympathetically and said (more or less), sorry about that, but it's of no clinical use whatsoever, it's just one of those things that you'll have from now on.

As td3 said, make sure you are as clear as possible and that will cut down on coughing, on possible alveolar collapse, on infections and so forth. And hence, hopefully, cut down on the possible sources of pain.

Stay well

S

• Posted

I've had bouts of similar pain and doc told me likely to be pluracy and to take pain killers, and it usually only lasts a day or so.

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.