Sharp pain across knee

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 8 weeks post operation and was doing really well or so I thought woke up this morning with throbbing pain all across knee cap and if I lift my leg up it really hurts. Back to the crying and feeling depressed. Already had a moan at my husband for all the things I do which he could. He works nights and just says leave it until I get up which is easier said than done. Keep thinking I am backtonormal but today is going to be another boring resting day whilst all the work piles up. Even my family of grown up children think I am back to normal so only ring when they want something. Oh dear I do sound sad I think the depression is taking over. At the doctors Monday so will maybe tell him .x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Do tell your Dr about the depression getting worse. They can give you something temporary to help with this. As for people thinking you are back to normal at 8 wks post op. Well, unless they have gone through it, they won't understand. My Dr told me that after such invasive and traumatic a procedure it could take up to a year to be fully recovered. Even though the scar looks as if it's healed, there are lots of layers underneath and all the ligaments, muscles and nerves etc need time!! Don't feel pressurised to be doing more than you should. Take care and let me know how you get on. 

Pru

• Posted

oh bless you Joan I no how you feel my grown ups gave up 2 weeks after id had op lol. I think its cos were house proud and like stuff done??? I left a blog earlier saying im havin problems today a dint appeared below my knee last night and I can do most things but weight bare today I no im 14 weeks post op but thinkin about it yest I washed and ironed for 3 hours on and off cos my daughters washer has broken!!! im trying to rest today but lije you don't like leaving the jobs to my hubby for when he gets in hes a police detective and weve murders galore here in Bradford at the mo so hes tired as well???? What are we like??? I guesd what im trying to say is its normal whats happening to you but moan away on here theres always someone to listen lol lol you take care x x
  • Posted

It's difficult for people to understand how traumatic a TKR is, the mental impact is the worst part. This was my first major surgery (even though I've broke countless bones over the years) and I was clueless as to what to expect with regards to the emotional trauma. I am normally a positive person but some days I've experienced incredible lows. I'm at 17 weeks post and booked in for further surgery at the end of July. I keep getting told by people how well I look...I'm tired of telling them that I'm not sick, just recovering. That's the problem though, because we don't look ill, they expect us to be fit and able again. I find flashing the scar helps change their view or at least make them feel a bit queasy 😜

The housework isn't going anywhere, that dust appears like clockwork. Give yourself time to recover and cut down the amount of work you're doing. You are more important than any chore xx

• Posted

yes it was my first major surgery as well never brokrn owt lol and ur soooo right about the fact that because we don't look ill people dont understand! I popped into work last week as I work at the hosp I had my op and folks were sayin oooo you look really well uve caught the sun and the best one ooo it must be nice doing nowt all day all I can say is GRRR lol
    • Posted

I know what you mean about flashing the scar but then I get oh that's neat isn't it. I want to say well you have one then and see how you feel. Doesn't it make you sound soft? Unless you have had it done you can't begin. to understand the pain . x
    • Posted

Another one that drives me crazy is 'aren't you lucky to be able to work from home and not be stuck in your car'. I would give anything to be able to sit behind a wheel for that long and actually be able to stand afterwards and manage something that closely resembles walking...rather than look like some old hag from a fairytale!!! It takes all my effort not to scream a response. I keep telling myself I'll get there and anyone who's really annoyed me may get a kick....maybe that should be my physio aim Lol xx
  • Posted

Very sensible advice about housework worries, the chores will keep on piling up for ever so do not let it get on top of you hard as it is for houseproud people.
  • Posted

oh poor you im afraid its the way it goes 3 steps forward and 5 back it is depressing i know ,unfortunaly if you have not went through this  op then you have no idea what so ever how it feels so no matter how your family try to understand they dont that is why this forum is great we understand and hopefully help to pick you up there is an old saying the house will be after you and how true that is but right now all you see is the sun shining (i hope) and dust and the rest its all very overwhelming try and do some light excersises it sometimes helps and most of all give yourself a break 8wks after such a major surgery is really early days
  • Posted

If anyone walked into my house at the moment I would be ashamed. I do as much as I can, I have an ironing pile that is taking over the kitchen. Doing the washingdis fine, just being able to stand long enough to do the itoning is impossible, and I have a press which is even quicker. My daughter, in my eyes, is a lazy mare and is quite happy to let it pile up. Again, after the initial, poor you's, friends and family think you are fighting fit!
    • Posted

I am the same but I bought myself one of those walkers with the seats from eBay so I use it to sit on while I wash up and do the ironing have lowered the board but it's true because you look ok people think there is nothing wrong with you 
    • Posted

ohhh bless you carol its a pain im ironing at the mo I sit and stand its like a dance whilst im doing it lol
    • Posted

yep carol they have no idea and whats more they dont want to understand because that would mean helping god knows thats not going to happen!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.