Sharp pain in right side of face

Posted , 9 users are following.

For the past couple months I have a sharp pain that comes and goes throughout the day. I live off Motrin just to keep myself sane. I get intense jabs in my jaw, ear, eye area and sometimes my head. Does this sound like TN? I don't really have a trigger or anything. Sometimes the pain is so awful I have to hide under a blanket and just try to take a nap til it passes. Other times (like now) the pain is dull but the jabs are still painful. Anyone experience this? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sounds like it to me, join the facebook TN group, they wilol help you decide, .Dawn Hines.
  • Posted

Marlee21,

It sounds like early stages TN. Recommend you get to a neurologist asap. You will get the right medication. Tegretol in my case for more than 8 years. If you cannot get an appointment before a bad out break, you can go to the hospital ER. I had to do that in 07 and I was so glad to get the relief. The ER folks will make sure a neurologist follows up.

Comes and goes is definitely part of it, but the situation will not just go away.

eddie13

• Posted

Hi  marlee, Get to your GP asap. your tablets are too weak for TN. Maybe early days. carbarmazapine [tegretol] are the norm. after a while these fade, so i use cocodamol then a tramadol.  It always gets you friday so as a stopgap a bag of frozen peas on the pain BUTsome prefer heat ie hot  water bottle GOOD LUCK  
  • Posted

Dear Marlee.

I am not a doctor so I do not know but it may be TN.The pain you describe sound sfamiliar to me. (Usually moltrin will not help that too much). I would see a neurologist who is familiar with TN and see what they say.

Good luck! 

Anna

• Posted

Hi I sent you a longish reply to give you some information but I don't think you got it so the   TN  UK  Association & Information and help line.            Get to the Dr's.     A&E if you can't wait to see the Dr.  Write everything down before you go and say you think it's TN.  Get referred to a Neurologyst.   Take somebody with you I case speech is to painful.    We've all been there so don't leave it too late  go and get it diagnosed and start on the right medication.          Good luck.   Keep us posted.
  • Posted

I would get to your doctor quickly.  I had these symptoms (still do). After a CT Scan a mass was discovered and then the MRI showed a massive brain tumor behind my right eye.  Tumor is pressing on 5th cranial nerve so i have similar pain that you do, except well, it just doesn't stop.  Gob smacking pain every day and night.  I would get the doctor to verify what exactly the problem is so that you can get the pain Down or at least workable.  Wishing you luck and hope you get a good prognosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.