Sharp pain on one side of my throat

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Ive been a long term sufferer from GERD due to a small hiatus hernia, and have been controlling it using omeprazole on and off which has been fine. A couple of years ago i started experiencing a very short sharp pain in my throat, seemingly on the left hand side below my Adams apple. The pain was in the exact same place everytime i experienced it, which was only as i began to talk in a certain way or laugh in a certain way, so when my throat moved/ stretch in a specific way. I did experience one or two times where after the pain i had a very small amount of blood in my saliva if i cleared my throat straight after the pain. While drinking a hot herbal tea last year it suddenly disappeared (and i felt it go, almost a burst or sudden relief) and was good up until now. After a short episode of reflux, the pain seems to be back in the same place. During my first experience, i had an endoscopy which came back completely clear/ no throat damage which is good and bad because i want to know what it was (is), the ent is where i discovered my small hernia. Has anyone else experienced this pain?

thanks

harry

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Harry,

I was a long time sufferer of GERD and experienced the same short sharp pain in one area of my throat and when I inhaled and exhaled deeply it would hurt even more than when I didn't do that.

My doctor doubled my Lansoprazole dose to 60 mg from 30 mg and this only made it worse, and I never saw any improvement from taking twice as much.

After three weeks, and in lots of pain, I decided to stop taking the Lansoprazole because they were not working for me and sure enough within 24 hours my throat pain disappeared.

I concluded that it was the Lansoprazole that was causing the pain, and then after one week off it, I decided to try just 30 mg of Lansoprazole to see if the pain would return.

And it did, in the exact same area as before, but this time I also had an asthmatic cough to go with it.

You said that "after a short episode of reflux, the pain returned to the same area", was that due from taking omeprazole for the reflux?

I no longer take Lansoprazole for reflux because I no longer suffer from it, and I can't tell you how much relief this is for me.

My doctor originally diagnosed that my GERD was due to stress, and having worked long hours in a stressful job many years ago, I knew this was not the case.

I had to look for an alternative reason for the cause of my own GERD, and that was because I was spending too much time lying down during the daytime as well as lying down at night to sleep.

I also tried another type of PPI that can be bought without a prescription called Nexium 20 mg and this had the same effect (throat pain) as the Lansoprazole did.

Hope this helps you out, and you are not alone in suffering from the same pain.

Regards. David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.