Sharp Pain Under Left Robs After Drinking Water Too Fast

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sometimes if I drink my water quickly it sends a sharp pain, like a stabbing pain, right under my left ribs. It makes me have to lean over in a bunch of pain and I normally have to try to hold my breath for a few seconds because of the pain being so bad. It all only lasts a few seconds, but it’s VERY painful and sometimes makes me want to cry a little or throw up. Then it’s a little tender there for a few more minutes. I can’t find anything that explains this for me!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Could be something to do with a vasovagal response. Our nerves and how we perceive things can be touchy for some... your vagus nerve is connected to a lot of our responses. But the fact you don’t pass out and you don’t mention it is cold water... is what makes it unclear to me. If I were you I’d avoid drinking so quickly. Or perhaps you haven’t noted the fact the water is ice cold? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.