Sharp pain with reaching left or right

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a 3 month shoulder injury that gives me sharp pain in rt shoulder with any reaching movements to the left or right.  I sometimes have sharp pains in the top at the biceps tendon insertion for no reason and cannot bear weight or lift anything heavy.  As this was  a work injury, I am at the mercy of W/C.  I have only had one xray and 3 mos of physical therapy.  It doesn't seem to be getting any better.  My question is as follows: Does anyone else have or has had similar symptoms and if so what exact diagnosis did you get?  Was it resolvable with just physical therapy and if so how long did it take?  I have not worn a sling, so I forget and reach for things, only to catch  myself after I get the stabbing pain.  Any suggestions besides ask the doc?  With w/c they pretty much keep you in the dark unless you hire a lawyer and that would be the end of work for me, so I want to get some info from people who have had this.  thanks. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can compare the sharp pain and the pinching feelings. I've been advised to be mindful of posture and avoid such things that make it worse. It's possibly inflamed tendon which I've had for mths following surgery

There doesn't seem to be any time scale on recovery it's takes as long as it takes. Don't wear a sling I was advised as this could lead to frozen shoulder. Try using ice to eleviate the pain.

Hope you get well soon.

• Posted

I have just had one session of physical therapy so far and was given the same advice as Jane. 
  • Posted

Thanks. It's something more than what I've been told! The doc diagnosis was cervical and thoracic sprain, but the pain is in the shoulder. Why don't they listen?
  • Posted

So now they are referring me to a Physiatrist.  What the heck is that?  I asked the Doctor what their credentials were ie. MD, OD, DO and he said MD.  So whats the difference?  He said they may give me an injection.. Where?  In the muscle? the Joint?  
    • Posted

A physiatrist is a doctor who concentrates on rehabilitation. They may give you a cortisone injection, which should last for a few weeks and allow the inflammation to reduce.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.