Sharp pains down side of thigh after TRHR 5 weeks ago

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all hippies 😁 I had my right hip done 5 weeks ago , first few weeks felt great now feel like I'm going backwards a bit as developed a sharp pinching stabbing pain down side of outside thigh , I'm still on 1 crutch as I don't seem to be able to put all my weight on it to walk unaided as yet , but can stand fine  also feels quite sore and swollen , is this normal ?? I had waited nearly 20 years for my replacement so I know most of my muscles are basically none existent and I had a bad limp  so I don't want to end up still limping after having my hip done , advice greatly appreciated 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie

This is probably just your muscles/tendons repairing themselves after being cut in operation. Have you been over doing it? This is also where your ITband runs. If you have then ice it and rest til pain goes.

As for walking, I would strongly advise staying with 2 crutches at least outside until you are walking with correct gait and no limp. Stopping early can make it take longer overall. I did this with my crutches and now walk with no pain or limp at 8 weeks post op. Everybody is different so you need to work to your body's schedule.

If the pain continues or gets worse then maybe you could have it checked. Do you have a follow up appt shortly?

Sandra

• Posted

This is most likely your IT band, if it gets inflamed it can be quite painful. It can develop in 2 out of 10 hip replacements. It seems to happen most often in us that have been relatively immobile for awhile because of pain. It takes our hip and glutes longer to strengthen and that makes our IT band take the brunt of it when we walk or do our exercises. The answer if you are hurting badly is about 3 weeks rest, no exercises, walking only when necessary, icing and take anti-inflammatories (Ibuprophen works). The hardest part is just resting for 3 weeks when you want to get moving and recovering. I had this very bad and those were my doctor's orders. Use your walking aids as that helps too. Find some good books and tell yourself it is okay towards your recovery to just rest. I went thru this, my 3 weeks ended a week ago. I am now supposed to very gradually get back to normal activities and my simple exercises to strengthen hip. It is working. I shopped at one store Tuesday doing some walking. I was tired and sore when I got home and relaxed for the evening. Yesterday I woke up fine, no pain. Today I am going to Costco, hoping for same results. I do laundry, clean cat litters with a long handled scoop and straighten the bed. Hubby has been doing dinner. So far so good and that terrible sharp pain in side seems to be gone. Doctor told me pain is your bodies way of telling you to stop and rest. If you were inactive before surgery you will need to go slowly until those muscles strengthen. Doctor reminded me it takes a year or longer to recover from this major surgery. It is a journey. You will get there, but rushing it just sets you back. I know there are stories on here of people doing all kinds of things at six weeks, but those are the rare ones, most of us take much longer, especially if we have been inactive for awhile. Best of luck to you on your journey.

• Posted

Dear Julie

Please use both crutches until your muscles really are able to properly support you and you are walking confidently and strongly with a good hair. Doing this you can as appropriate steadily reduce dependences on the crutches so that it is a steady transition.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Oh dear the auto spell check taking over again! Not good hair but good gait.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Renee

Yes indeed! I'm very fortunate in still having a good head of hair but it has gone pretty white which is something I'm not so keen about!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I had my hip replaced because of a broken bone 5 months ago.  I was doing great for several weeks and then started doing things thinking that I was getting close to being back to normal.  I wound up with a similar pain in my thigh on the outside.  I think I was overdoing it too fast and felt like I had two or three setbacks from activities that I had tried to do too soon.  Maybe you have overdone it too soon and put a strain on those muscles causing the pain you are describing.  I have really tried harder not to do things that strain the weak muscles so I won't have anymore setbacks!  Maybe you need to take it easier and give it more time.  Hope all goes well in time for you.

• Posted

Julie,

?I had a revision almost 7 months ago and when I overdo then I have pain down outside of thigh. I rest and sorry to say it doesn't seem to help.

?Maybe take others suggestions and rest and gradually get back to doing some things. I know I will take that advice.

I sincerely hope you get to feeling better real soon.

?Hugs for you.

• Posted

hey Julie,

warm welcome to the hippies forum

I agree with previous posts that you might have been doing too much too soon and to stay with using 2 crutches -

I had a 4 wheeled walker (rollator) which, I think is easier to manoeuvre in and outside the home - 

The hip joint implant is rotating (getting up and down, turn,  etc) in cup as well as taking pressure, like when you walk your weight will press it down

The purpose of the  crutches or walker or sticks  is to avoid a fall or sudden twist. Weight-bearing is usually safe immediately after surgery. But until the implants have grown into the bone, a process that takes at least 6 weeks, a fall or other sudden twisting force on the leg can risk implant loosening or injury to the leg.

Because the hip replacement components are designed to heal directly to bone without use of bone cement, the  stability of the implants in your body is assured by 4 to 6 weeks, at the minimum.

Be patient .. 20 years of your body compensating for a declining hip will not be able to correct itself in a short time - you need to learn how to move with the new body, how to walk properly etc .... 

Come here any time when you have a concern, or question or just want to share ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Morning julie50225!   You are still in the early stages of healing. Like you I was limping and my muscles atrophied due to non or improper use.  So in comes the new hip!   Now these muscles, tendons, nerves tissues are all having to be used so naturally they don't like it! 😖  Lol.  The healing process takes awhile. For some longer than others.  I truly believe that those of us who limped and our butt muscles were either not used at all or were improperly used we are going to feel that.  Not to mention any cutting or pulling of these muscles during surgery.   Just continue with your exercises.  Walking is good but if your limping use an aide until that is under control because that can may matters worsen.  I am a year out and I still have a limp without my cane.   But ive been short on my right leg and limped for years and it just became second nature to me.  I did always notice the stares I would get.  But be patient with yourself rest and ice yourself for the pain and swelling. Heat to soothe the muscles.   Wishing you all the best and God's blessings to you for a speedy recovery and healing.  Hugs 🤗Linda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.