Sharp shooting nerve pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 5 months in with the pain and it seems I am getting more sharp nerve pain, comes and goes, in the back of my upper arm at the top. Is this common?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds about right to me. I had FS twice, once in each arm, and in both cases it started out mildly painful, though it badly restricted my range of motion.

Then at some point several months into the condition, it suddenly got a lot worse. The pain would spike up so badly that at times I could barely breathe. At night I couldn't sleep more than an hour at a time; immobility makes the pain worse and I am a person who sleeps almost motionless.

This period of intense pain continued, in both cases, for several months. The only relief I got was when I soaked in a tub of very hot water; that would usually quiet the pain for a couple of hours.

It took about a year to really get over the condition.

• Posted

Thanks. I thought at first it was the TENS unit causing it. The device doesn't seem to help in the long term, maybe just a brain distraction for awhile. This pain seems new, like a nerve impulse, brought on by no particular movement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.