Sharp shooting pains!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm only 17 years old and for the past 7 weeks I've been experiencing the occasional shooting pain in my head. These shooting pains can occur anywhere in my head (left,right,back,front) but the pain isn't excruciating or even that painful. It doesn't stop me from really doing anything it's just a bit of a shooting pain. These pains only last about 3 seconds and happen a few times a day, but some days I don't experience any. I haven't displayed any other symptoms but I'm scared to death about having a brain tumor. I'm not sure though if it's just anxiety, as all my life I've had anxiety over my health and safety. It's really been stressing me out so much and I'm really terrified! 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Alex, I've also had this fear since I was just 14 when I started getting shooting pains, like needles stabbing my head or a hammer and they only lasted seconds but of course scared the shiiiiiiz out of me, got a ct scan when I was your age and it was normal. I suffer from depression and GAD so I guess it's one of their manifestations and I bet the same cause could explain your symptoms. I'm 22 now and I occassionally get these headaches and think the worst like a tumor or aneurysm but at the end there's a part of me that tells me that is just my anxiety and I have nothing to worry about. Look I'm 100% yours are product of anxiety as well, beacuse I've been told too many times that headaches on their own are not usually a brain tumor symptom.

If you want reassurance go to your primary doctor or even get an eye test to rule out but I believe you'll be fine.

Best wishes, hope I helped xx.

• Posted

Thank you for the response, extremely reassuring hearing someone else with a similar problem to me. Saw the doctor today and she said it was probably anxiety or eye strain. She booked me in with a psychologist and I'm planning on getting an eye test soon. Cheers for the response!

• Posted

I just want to thank you again, ever since I read this post 4 months ago and haven't experienced any of these shooting pains. Thank you really put my mind at ease. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.