Sharp, sudden pain in knuckles/fingers?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past couple days, I’ve been experiencing the strangest pain in my left hand. Randomly, a sharp pain will suddenly start in my fingers. Usually it’s the ring and middle finger, but it has happened in the other three a but too. When it’s most severe, it starts towards my wrists and sort of radiates (?) into my fingers. That only happened a few times though, I’ve noticed that the pain is usually just in my fingers. 

I have not noticed that this pain is followed by anything; it just happens out of nowhere. I also can’t think of anything that I would’ve done to injure or cause this pain.

I’m 18 years old, I’ve never had anything like this occur before. I tried talking to my mum, she thinks it might be carpal tunnel but we are going to give it a little longer before we see a doctor.

I just figured I’d ask for advise here? Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Or how to treat it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like carpal tunnel; you say it radiates from your wrist. Are you involved in repetitive impact or bending/flexing activities involving your hands and wrists? Did you fall or land on your hands/wrists recently?
    • Posted

I don’t remember falling on my hands or wrists recently. However, I do have a part time job at a craft store where I used to cut fabric almost every day. I haven’t done that for a couple weeks though, right now for my job I am generally typing things in all day (usually one handed).
  • Posted

My advice is to look at your shoulder try to free up shoulder girdle and try some ‘pandiculation’ movements/exercises Hanna Somatics-on you tube for wrists & fingers. 

• Posted

numbness or tingling are typical symptoms of CTS.  I have used a CTS brace to help with my wrist pain, which is like a sharp needle (or lightning bolt on bad days).  This has now been confirmed as arthritis, to go along with my hip which was replaced 2 years ago due to osteo-arthritis. At least that is pain free, even if not problem free since it was put in badly by the surgeon.

Now getting pains in my lower back which I suspect is more of the same ......... isn't old age (65) wonderful cry

• Posted

Old Age???  when you get aches and pains it can be where you're muscles have amnesia, this IS NOT age related and can happen to anyone for various reasons, trauma, injury, work, bad posture bad habits . Your body will protect an injury and also compensate in other ares in order to cope or carry on. IT IS possible to correct these imbalances in the body due to muscles being over contracted , tight and therefore painful. Somatic movements will fix this problem if you are prepared to help yourself and not rely on others e.g.. surgeons  when they may be not needed. Go on you tube look up hanna somatics. You may find an alternative way to FIX yourself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.