Sharp upper chest pain post surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I have had a total hysterectomy 3 days ago and everything went as well as it could but I am suffering with a sharp pain in my upper right chest that comes and goes. Has anyone else had anything similar please? Thank you

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am wondering if it could be from when the op team manhandled you onto the operating table when you were under.  I know I might be sounding fanciful but there could be muscular pain referring itself also from somewhere else.  And again have a word with the ward staff and doctor.  Look after yourself at this time.

• Edited

Was your surgery done laparoscopically or via da Vinci robot? If so, it could be from the gas they use to inflate your abdomen. That can cause pain in the upper body. But it could be something more serious like a blood clot. Please seek medical help to get this checked out.
  • Posted

Hi did you leave hospital with blood thinning injections?.obviously being post op you are more at risk of blood clots...also like previos poster has put,if you had op done keyhole then they use gases to inflate your stomach and you tend to get wind pains after and referred pain to your shoulders....i would consult somebody about this.. phone the ward you were on for advice. It does concern me it could be a blood clot...seek advice...i am a nurse and i would....x
  • Edited

Hi, JLM, sorry to hear you're going through this.  Your pain might be related to the gas used to inflate your abdomen, assuming you had keyhole surgery.  My doctor's nurse told me that the first three or four days after surgery were the worst.  If you can, walking through the house can help the gas dissipate through your tissues.  

However, if you aren't able to find relief, contact your doctor's office or head to A&E or the ER.  

Please let us know how you do!

• Posted

As others have said, it is quite possible it is pain from the gas used to inflate the abdomen for your surgery, and it does sound like this is the case, however it is best that you get it checked out to be safe.
  • Edited

Thanks everyone I had a total abdominal op with removal of tubes but they have left the ovaries as I have had a previous blood clot on my lung a long time ago and I am having clexane injections that I have to do myself at home for 4 weeks. I'm not short of breath though just these sharpe pains that come and go. Before my op the anethatist tried giving me a spinal block before the General anathetic to help with the pain afterwards I guess but after loads of attempts (so painful) was unable to do so. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the pain. I have had loads of wind and on day 2 I had really bad diaorreah with a lot of burning sensation in my tummy. Other than this I feel much better than I thought I would on day 4.

• Posted

i had the same as you but my gynacologist/ surgeon took the left ovary out and im using a walking stick to lean on it is really good

• Posted

Hi

I had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago davinci robot. I believe I had a bit of the same issue though my sharp pain radiated. I was told it was air and to take simethicone tablets. They did eventually help me burp... And I found the more walking in the house that I did the more the air passed. It's strange not to have to buy pads every week... Welcome to the club! Take care, and good luck!

• Posted

Hi JLM, I am 13 days post op and yes I agree with those who said its caused through GAS. I have a leaflet from my hospital which explains the problems such as this that the gas can cause and also another problem is tummy wind. I think you'll find those pains in your chest or under your shoulder will soon go away - mine did. love, LadyPink

• Edited

Thank you all the shoulder/chest pain has now gone thank goodness but I have had diaorreah twice since my op 5 days ago.

I was also only given paracetamol as pain relief to come home and the pain is still quite bad. What pain relief has everyone else been given as the paracetamol doesn't seem to be helping much.

• Posted

Glad to hear the shoulder/chest pain is gone but sorry the abdominal pain is still bad! Hopefully, your doctor will prescribe some other pain meds. I'm not of much help there because I had very little pain.

The diarrhea could be from the antibiotics they likely gave you to prevent infection. Eating yogurt with live cultures and/or taking a probiotic may help restore your good gut bacteria. I had problem with diarrhea too. sad

• Posted

i left hospital with paracetemol only....which considering i had so much done,was a bit surprising.But luckily i did have some stronger painkillers at home from a previous operation i had...i suggest you go to see your gp and ask him to prescribe something stronger....x
    • Posted

After my op I was offered (but didn't need) 1xparacetomol and 1xIbuprofen together, (you can take them together as they are completely different) perhaps you could try this, of course only if you aren't alergic to Ibuprofen. Actually I have just read back over some of your post and see that you have had a blood clot, I'm not sure about ibuprofen and clots, something is in the back of my mind about them, Your very best bet then is to ask you GP.

• Posted

same i had total hysterectomy 3 days ago i got released from hospital after lunch today and this morning the chest pains started

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.