Shave Biopsy?? HELP

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had this benign smooth small-ish bump on my nose for around two years, then around october time last year my nose got very dry and it kind of scraped/came off. It bled a little but it didnt seem to be full of blood, maybe just a clear fluid. It never bothered me up until it came off.  I was really happy because i thought it had gone. But then it started to come back. it came back even WORSE! it got very red, formed an uneven texture and still hasnt dissapeared and we are in March. I have been to a doctor, who presciped me acne medication, which just irritated it. Then i visited a dermatologist who told me i could have a shave biopsy. Its not cancerous which is good. But i am very very self concious about it. It is not a raised red , uneven bump on my nose. If you apply pressure it will stay down for 5 seconds until it comes back again.

I have been weighing up whether i want to go ahead and have a shave biopsy, i am worried about it scarring badly. It isnt very big, it is about 4mm/5mm, but it still is very obvious ( especially to me ). How long do shave biopsys take to heal? could it come back after the biopsy? and how long after the shave biopsy would i have to wait before wearing makeup??

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry i meant to say *it is a raised, red, uneven bump.
  • Posted

A Shave biopsy is not a treatment and doesn't heal anything, it is just to confirm a diagnosis made by your dermatologist.

It is used for finding bacterial, viral and fungus infections.

Information about biopsys is easy to find on the internet.

Good luck,

Escar 

• Posted

Oh I forgot to say, the biopsy forms such a little wound +/- 2 millimetre.

Normaly they disinfect it and give you a little bandage.

Sometimes they burn or glue the little wound to stop the bleeding.

• Posted

oh, im sure my dermatologist reccomended a shave biopsy for removal.

Is it common for shave biopsys on the nose to possibly form hypertrophic scars?

that is my main worry. Bad scarring, or it coming back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.