Shaving before an operation

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know people have asked about shaving pubic hair before an op and surgeons say not to because it increases the risk of infection, but I didn't realise that the same also applies to shaving legs!  Just read in the Mail today that you shouldn't shave legs within a week before an operation, for the same reason!  That's news to me!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

That's right chris. Definitely not advisable. The area is left with tiny little pin holes that can trap bacteria but can also cause infections.
    • Posted

I never thought to ask about legs before I had mine done and shaved my legs carefully the morning I went in!  I had asked about the pubic area though and been told not to because of risk of infection.
    • Posted

I shaved mine as well to be honest. I'm too vain!!
    • Posted

Hehe.

We get those lovely socks too!

• Posted

LOL!  I must admit I'd have been embarrassed with hairy legs LOL!  I even got my husband to get the sewing light on a stand out and examine every inch that I couldn't see on my legs, to check them LOL!
  • Posted

It said if you was seeing an orthopod hun.

I shaved myself the night before. And trimmed my nether region! Didn't want hair in the way

• Posted

Just checked it and it didn't say orthopod but was just speaking generally Vicky.  I suspect the non shaving thing is because there are bugs that people pick up in hospital and shaving means the skin is more open to them, regardless of where you've had the operation.  But I really hadn't thought about that before I went in.  Thinking now, about MRSA etc. it does make sense.  I'd still hate to not shave underarms and legs though!
  • Posted

Ooh I didn't realise this, thanks for the heads up.

I am going in on 5th Feb and was planning on shaving before to save doing after for few weeks!

Does anyone know rules on gel nails? I know ideally they don't like you to have nail polish on but wonder if I would have to soak my bio sculpture nails off before admission.

Also has anyone had posterior and anterior repair, pelvic floor repair and hysterectomy at same time? 

I am 37 and just wondering how much more the recovery will be having it all done together?

thank you xx

• Posted

Wait till your pre op but I'm sure it's nothing on nails as they can see if you're starved of oxygen by looking at the colour
    • Posted

No gel nails or a vicky quite rightly said no nail varnish on hands or toes. It's true about the oxygen and checking to make sure the nails aren't going blue but that's not the main way of an anaesthetist checking these days with the modern machines they use. The nails are checked more by midwives delivering babies and when a patient has an operation under a local or spinal 
    • Posted

I've had anterior repair and hysterectomy and that was fine:-)
    • Posted

I'm 37 too. Just had my rectocele surgery 12 days ago. I've had an easy ride but can't imagine what it would be like to have all that at once.

Good luck x

• Posted

Ok thanks, sounds like your recovery is going well.

Does the bulge you feel from having the prolapse go straight away? 

(Obviously i realise you will be sore for some time)

I am scared to death of waking up after my op and still having this awful bulging feeling which is making me so sore when I walk.

Roll on 5th Feb I can't wait to get this sorted xx

• Posted

Jill, when I got up for the first time, out of bed, at the hospital, to walk to the loo, the delight I felt will NEVER be forgotten - the bulge had gone!  I could have danced!
    • Posted

Oh that is a relief to hear, thank you so much  biggrin

hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly xxx

• Posted

I didn't have a bulge, the only time I did was after driving to Devon and that's when I realised I did have an issue. Seems I didn't have much of a problem other than emptying.

I am swollen inside so just waiting for that to go till I can have a look! Can't wait x

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy, vaginal suspension and rectocele surgery. I also got up the day after operation and went to the bathroom. I felt the difference immediately. I'm 2 mos post op and now am noticing bladder leakage. I see doc today. I'm guessing a future surgery is coming. I had no pain except the tiny incisions in my tummy area. No pain vaginally. I took my stool softeners faithfully twice a day. No constipation at all and I took one pain pill on day 2 for cramps. I am 62 years old and very active. Good luck, everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.