Sheer Panic

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have a 5cm sliding hiatus hernia.  My life has been a living hell for 2 years suffering with the nightly bloating and pain. 

I normally sleep raised but last night must had slid down the bed and was sleeping more flat.  During the night I must have swallowed in my sleep and due to being laid flat woke up choking.  It took me around 5 minutes to catch my breath and by this time I was shaking like a leaf and really anxious.  I kept coughing and had to go and get a drink and calm down.

It must have taken me hours to get back to sleep through worrying that I would choke again.

Is this what I have to contend with for the rest of my life?  I have PPIs, antacids, sickness pills and pain killers as well as anti relaxants/sleeping pills but none of these make the bloating/pain go away.  The hospitals discharged me and no one seems to want to know.  I am 44 and feel that this controls every aspect of my life and don't see it ever getting better!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That is a shame, I completely know what your going through, mine is 3cm, i have made alot of changes to diet ( i am 42)i have been off bread for over a year now, no red wine or spicy foods, I try to eat smaller portions and not late at night, avoid tomato based foods, broccoli is a no also! By making small changes I feel much better, I also stopped all meds  ( omez, sleeping pills, anxiety pills , I only use odd indigestion tablet   now and again and I feel much better, when I have maybe indulged in what I shouldn't I feel the bloating again and feel worse ! also I sleep  upright with 3 pillows !  Hope this helps  

• Posted

Hi Mel

I avoid a lot of things too like spicy foods, cream etc.  Like you I don't tend to eat large meals.  I did once try to stop the pills but to be honest after a day of not taking them I was in total agony so they must do a bit of something for me to make it at least bearable.  I have 3-4 pillows on my side of the bed and on bad nights I end up coming downstairs and try to sleep sitting up on the sofa.  Its like a torture and seems to just rule my life.  Holidays I look forward to but also dread because I know that I will not be able to stay out late due to the bloating and uncomfortable feeling.  Its just one big nightmare.

• Posted

My wife had the same symptoms, they were not controlled by meds, and she opted for surgery, which was a Nissen fundoplication, commonly know as a "stomach wrap" The surgery resolved her painful symptoms, but gave her a problem with excess gas, which she says is a good trade off for the relief from suffering.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a surgeon.

Good luck

• Posted

I have looked at the operation and also the risks and complications.  The only thing that worries me if the fear of not being able to swallow just after the operation. 

Did you wife have any of that?

• Posted

Paraesophageal hernia is what I had my hernia slipped into my chest the entire stomach no one new for 5 yrs what was wrong with me I think I went to 8 different dr the dr that finally told me what it was ...only 5 % on the population have this I was scared to death ( I watch YouTube video of how they did the surgery) I thought the same thing I have one of the best surgeon in the states I'm at a 100 % now it was well worth my hernia was 10 in wide my family dr suggested a chiropractor...what ever you do do not go to one I believe that's how it was push up into the stomach I bel

• Posted

Thanks Tammy

I did look at the Chiropractor procedures on the internet and was horrified so that was ruled out straight away.  I think a trip back to the GP is in order to tell them that something has to be done.  I am 44 and feel 90 most days and it can't go on long term.  2 years is enough!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.