Shifting from Citalopram to Venlafaxine…encouragement please.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. After being on Citalopram for c. 18 years, i cane off it successfully for 9 months. Anxiety came flooding back, scary thoughts etc. Went back onto Cit. but after 6 months i was still really struggling.

Dr now suggested tapering to Venlafaxine. Only day 4 but i'm pretty scared of the whole thing and feel like im never going to be well again.

I feel awful in the mornings, sleepy, no energy, just want to stay in bed. Evenings are generally much better.

I'd really welcome any encouragement.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would love to give you some encouragement, Chris. But going on Venlafaxine is not a good idea for anyone. Coming off Citalopram is very easy compared to Venlafaxine. please do yourself a favour and read some of the posts on this. Withdrawal from Venlafaxine is HORRIBLE. much worse.

there are much better anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds out there. one of the very best for anxiety is Bupropion (Welbutrin).

good luck, Chris. Avoid Venlafaxine, its poison.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

You'll get very opposite end opinions when seeking others views on this med. I too was on Cit, me for ten years. came off for two and was fine for a long time. returned to Cit and went to max dose over several months and it was ineffective. Started Venlafaxine for severe depression and anxiety five months ago. It took about 6 to 8 weeks to lift the worst of the depression. Still working on the anxiety with room for improvement, but generally miles better. Felt sick for first week and headaches. I don't regret starting it, as I was desperate for some relief from rock bottom depression. I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck. it'll get better!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.