Shimmering effect in 1 eye followed by nausea

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

Has anyone here had the effects shown in my question. If you close the affected eye (always the right eye in my case) you can still see the shimmering effect. I was told a while back that if you stare at a distant object then the shimmering will go away as quick as it arrived.

That didn't work today and the effect lasted for over 10 mins and made me feel really nauseous. I took a couple of paracetamol/caffiene tablets and it went away eventually. The affected eye has been twitching for a few days before todays attack. When the attacks appear i also have balance problems.

I don't know if any of the following might be attributal: Had a heavy fall on ice 4 years ago landing on my right shoulder and i am weaning myself off Fluoxetine (a drug used for my depression).

I am loathe to go to the docs as i spend so much time there anyway for other problems.

I don't like self diagnosis but the symptons seem very similar to Superior Oblique Myokymia.

Any help would be gratefully received.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just a thought... have you been checked out for migraine headaches. They are often accompanied by "visual aura's" which are sometimes described similarly to your experience. Migraine sufferers don't always have the typical headache, they sometimes have nausea and eye symptoms with no headache. If it is a migraine, consider yourself lucky-migraines without the headaches seem much easier to manage.
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply Leslie

I suffered with migraines at junior school age and now have what i call sinus migraines as i have a deviated septum (caused by an accident in my youth). I do get a lot of headaches generally (possible side effect of medication i am on) but only get bad migraines every couple of months.

I'm not working now but when i was, it was sitting in front of a computer all day, with eye breaks. Had a less severe shimmering episode last week followed by waking up the next day with a headache..all day. Does not seem to be a connection every time with the shimmering and the headaches.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I have similar experience when I get migraine. However I notice you say your weaning yourself off flourextine you shouldnt do this without oversite from the gp. What you are experiencing maybe as a redult of withdrawl symptoms. Advise go back to gp
  • Posted

Hi Katherine

My weaning off of fluoxetine IS being done via the doctor and has been since September last year but thanks for your concerns. I've had the shimmering for some years now, before i started reducing the dosage. As i said before the effects are not always followed by a migraine.

I have seen a new chiropractor today as i have many other physical problems also. She basically said my nervous system is shot (frazzled) - her words and has given me some simple tasks to do to help alleviate this. I will ask her about the shimmering problems at my appointment next week. My neck is a major factor in my bodily problems so there might be a connection here.

Thanks for replying and best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.