shimmering light in front of eye and periphal vision

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Last week on Sunday mid-afternoon a curved line of light appeared across my eye vision - it took a few minutes to establish. It was curved , slightly to the left and went from approx 1pm down to 6pm position. I couldn't see/read anything in that area. It was worrying and resulted in a bowel movement due to the anxiety of the situation, after which it slowly disappeared.

A week later on Saturday, the same thing appeared late morning, and 3 times later during the day. Laying on my bed with the blind down helped the first time . The other times I noticed the lights in my eyes decrease slightly if the the light was low in the room. I also noticed my peripheral vision on one side or other was difficult to see during these events. Again. on the first few occasions I had a bowel movement due to the anxiety and it seemed to clear up after.

However, I also noticed the last time that it gradually disappeared by itself without a bowel movement and without changing the light in the room.

So I am trying to work out whether it's possible a link it to neck strain, and if anyone has experienced any eye/vision symptoms due to neck problems. I had done a lot of lifting and tiring dehydrating work on the day it first happened. The second time it happened I had carried heavy things the day before (and on occasion during the week).

I have also felt strain in my neck before this event. I had established that the splenius capitis muscle/nerves were strained a few weeks earlier due to waking up every morning for weeks with a headache over the right side of the eye and the right side/top of my head.

This disappeared after I started some specific neck exercises. and also when I started sleeping with a rolled up a towel under the neck edge of my pillow (something I'd seen suggested) - to support the head.

So I am wondering if anyone experienced/suspected neck issues as a possible cause for eye/vision problems?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What you're describing sounds like Migraine Aura, its called 'Scintillating Scotoma'. Is it resulting in a headache once the vision clears? If not then I think they call that a retinal or ocular migraine. I know they can make you feel awful, nausea and vomiting sometimes accompany them, also areas of the face...nose, lips can feel numb. The arc you are seeing generally starts off small and gradually grows to fill your vision then gradually subsides, this is normally between 20 mins to an hour. However, I am not an eye doctor and I could be wrong about this, I am just someone who suffered with migraine with aura for many years. Lights in your eyes can indicate many things so do get it checked out by a pro.

• Posted

Thank you for your response Tracey. Funnily enough, I had looked into migraines today and found information about migraines with aura. I also notice there are silent aura migraines which don't have a headache with them - I didn't get a headache every time it happened over the weekend.

However, I had one today and was left with a dull ache above the left eye - the shimmering lights lasted about 15 minutes or so, and gradually disappeared when I laid down in a room with the curtains drawn.

Did you experience aura migraines and have they improved?

• Posted

Hi David,

I came across your post and I thought I should share my experience because it somewhat mirrors yours.

I was at work and all of a sudden I had the flashing lights in the right side of my right eye and it made a crescent from 1:00 to 6:00 just like yours. It was really intense and I didn't know what was happening. I was thinking maybe a stroke. Then that continued as these little squiggly things were floating around in my eye. They were really weird, almost virtual reality like and I felt like I had to swat them out of my the air.

I called the eye doctor and they told me I had to come in right away. Turns out I had a torn retina and the squiggles were called floaters. They were basically pieces of debris for the liquid behind my eye. The doc said my retina did not detach. If it would have, some sort of procedure would have had to happen. I still get light flashes at night when I drive and it has been 2 years(they are no where near as bad as the first ones) Floaters lasted 2 months

I suppose yours could be a strain of some sort, but i wanted to tell you about this just in case. I really feel you need to go to an ophthalmologist. At least for peace if mind. My appointment lasted 20 to 25 min and was $104 without insurance.

Keep us posted

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Layla.

Did you discover what caused the torn retina? Were you doing strenuous work? I guess it's something that has to repair itself as they have no procedures for it - did they say the lights would eventually stop?

Since it happened, I find bright lights like car headlights are a bit difficult to look at and have turned down the brightness on my pc and TV.

• Posted

A torn retina is a get to the eye doctor NOW situation. It can progress to a retinal detachment if left untreated. Retinas do not repair themselves

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.