shin and calf pain folliwing TKR

Posted , 31 users are following.

I get pain in my shin and  outer calf. Also my ankle.It is worse than the actual knee. this is in my right leg, TKRCno. 2 which was done on OCT 21st. 4 weeks ago. Knee no. 1 is doing fine, only a bit of stiffness and accasional ache. The hamstring in that leg was cramping but I fixed that with magnesium. I did walk 1 km today, I find walking helps stiffness and makes me feel better mentally. any tips

to get rid of the shin pain???

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sandra you are so lucky to find someone who listens to you.... you wouldn't happen to live near me would you I would love to go to your doctor. I live in Niskayuna NY. 

• Posted

Hi Sandra I also just had a TNR in December 28 2017 I have shin and calf pain so I decided to do some research and I went into you tube asked for exercise for calf and shin pain exercise and it showed me some I'm still in pain but again it's been only one day so hope this helps you and see if you find anything else let me know because not even medication takes away pain I'm going insane lol hope to chat soon let me know what happens.

• Posted

Be sure to let your doctor know.  I ended up having two stress fractures and a pulled muscle.  The fractures did not show up on the x-rays so I had to really be a pest until they did an MRI.  It's not that uncommon as your bones are weaker after a TKR surgery.  I also have osteorporosis so I'm even more at risks for fractures.

• Posted

Marthaelens, My TKR was about one month prior to yours. Went thru P.T. rather quickly and successfully, and I contribute that to my pre-op fitness. I am a cyclist (bicycle) and ride often.. I think I was so anxious to get back on my bike that I did not allow enough healing time. Did not experience a lot of pain when riding but now within the past 2-3 weeks have started to experience pain in my tibia down to my ankle. It comes and goes, but much of my discomfort comes from sitting to long in one place, I have backed off on riding for a couple of weeks to see if the pain subsides. My right knee was the one replaced and only have slight pain on the outside of that knee. The whole right side of my knee is numb, but the doctor told me that is typical and might stay like that. Not painful just feels weird. I find the ice on the knee and shin as often as possible and stretching is helpful. I bought a great massage unit that I also use on my calf and thigh. From studies I have read, the slight realignment of joints and muscles after TKR can cause this tibia pain and could take up to a year to adjust.

Good luck and wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Wow!!!!! Thank goodness for this forum. I now realise I’m not alone with the shin and calf and foot pain that everyone here describes. I’m 6 weeks post op from a bilateral knee replacement and have been doing well in all areas including bending walking and physio exercises. This past week I’ve have been experiencing the pain described by many on this forum and wondered if this was a normal part of the healing process. 

Today, the pain was quite extreme so I took the advice from one of the posters on this forum ( sorry I can’t find the post I’m referring to) that was told to trace the alphabet with the foot with the leg raised in the air as a form of stretching. I have experienced great relief after doing this. It will become part of my daily routine. 

Thank you to the many people who have taken the time to post their experiences here. It has really made a difference to me knowing I’m not alone and that it is all normal to the healing process. ??

• Posted

Hi Leonie,

Amen or Here here!! or whatever suits you on this forum. I just kind of bailed on the group once that shin & ankle pain went away. I still get a bit of pain in my knee joint from time to time-especially right after a P.T. exercise session for my back. It is indeed a good feeling to know that alot of this is normal stuff and just a part of the healing process. I am just going on 3 months out now and am a "poster child" for knee surgery according to the medical people that I see. Knee joint clicking and a tiny bit of itchiness is about all that remains for me. A real Tom Sawyer bragging scar is about it.

• Posted

HI,, I am  at the 5 month mark, and the shin and calf pain started about a week ago,, feels like growing pains when we were kids,,, it aches more than the knee does,, I have been doing stretches and massaging it,, ibuprofen is my friend right now.. this morning I did about 15  min on the incumbent bike, 10 on the spin bike and about 30 min swimming,, came home and iced and stretched,,  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.