Shin pain 5 yrs post tkr

Posted , 4 users are following.

After this tkr I have had 2 x mua resulting with a little more movement. I have been able to play golf slowly but now have started to get some shin pain which can be very painful at times. Has anyone else suffered with the same problem. Still taking regular pain killers with some effect.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like your tendons, muscles, or IT band are shrinking.  If you needed mua's for motion I would gather that would be good for motion but your other range of motion is being hindered and causing pain.  If your starting to play golf your leg motion/usage is changing and will use areas of your leg will scream at you because they have been dormant.

I would suggest looking up stretching for the tendon/IT band/muscles.  I stretch a lot, every morning 40 seconds touching the floor with my hands when I wake and throughout the day if my leg starts to hurt.  I am at 6 weeks and finally was able to get in the bath.  I sat in a hot bath with epson salts and got my heel to almost touch my behind.  It was a fantastic stretch and today my leg feels really good.  

• Posted

Thanks.

Have been enjoying golf for the last year but pain has only just started. Maybe due to the cold weather? ?

Will try doing some stretching though.

• Posted

When did you have the TKR and why did you have the MUA

I had  TKR in Feb 2016 and it nearly crippled me.

I have just undergone patella resurfacing where he interred a button like object between my patella and new knee.

That was two weeks ago. I have the clips out tomorrow but what a terrible experience the whole thing has been

If I could go back to February 2016 I would never have had it done in the first place.

The whole thing has played havoc with my general health

So far sinc this second op, I’m walking a bit better and there is not so much  pain of a night but that’s how I was as before going down the route of a TKR and my health was stronger 

• Posted

Hi Kay. I take daily vitamin B12 1000mg for shin pain. I was a big walker (10-12 Kms a day) prior to arthritis and bone on bone knees. I still try to walk 3-4 kms a day however I found vitamin B12 supplements assist with the pain in my shins when I do too much. Ask a naturopath if they might assist you. Good golfing! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.