Shin Pain after nearly 4 months since fracture - any one else had this?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since I've been walking unaided I've been suffering from shin pain on the side I fractured? Any one else had thing and can they advise how to ease it??

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

After I got the boot off after 3 months NWB I had all kinds of pains nowhere near the surgery site. Top of foot, shin, heel, etc. it is normal- those muscles, tendons & nerves have been quiet with no movement and they are waking up and recharging. It takes awhile, but with PT and patience it will be normal again.

• Posted

Yorkiegal

I just want to ditto what Janness said.- all kinds of pain since nwb- shin- heal calf toes achiles- as well as crazy stiffness and swelling- but honestly I had difficulty since accident.I can't imagine this will ever be healed and I will be normal again or mostly normal( and without pain)

Some days I push myself and some days I hardly move.

As far as advice-I Still Spend much of the time with leg elevated,ice and taking meds. Sometimes massage area with cream..

It's great to have this forum to know we are not alone in our struggles. I can't wait til we are all farther along and hopefully doing better- I wish I would be able to focus on being grateful I can weight-bear- that's all I was thinking about when I was not allowed. At present, there are moments it feels manageable ( and I feel hopeful)and others not so much.

I really appreciate everyone sharing their progress and struggles so much!!

Marge

• Posted

I agree Marge,

I am 3 weeks wb with the cast and progress seems at at stand still. I did go into a pool this week end without the cat and it gave me freedom to move around. I tried walking in the pool but it felt really weird and I just limped . I'm going to try a walker and see if that helps. I can't seem to walk without the crutches at all yet. I'm not sure if it's fear or just that my ankle is not strong enough.How is your wb going? Can you walk without aid? I go next week and I'm afraid my doc might send me back to work. I am not ready for that, walking seems a long way off even though it's been 4 months since surgery and yes everything hurts!!!

Margie

• Posted

Margie

Always so good to hear from you!

As I am writing to you  I am sitting at kitchen table with foot propped on chair after removing it from a cooler filled with ice water because of burning pain..Ugh I was at rehab today. Have you been there yet? I hope so. It helps - but a slow process. I look back and see a difference from 3 weeks ago.

I think it's great you tried the pool! I know in other messages you said you have been on the bike and also building strength  by marching up and down the hall with crutches. I say keep on the same road plus rehab. It all progresses and builds on each other. I can guarantee this will help speed things along.I would like to believe we will both be in a better place 3 weeks from now. .. and then 3 weeks from then..

Yes I can walk without aid.but if I do too much I suffer with burning pain in shin achilles heel etc.....oh yes- and then can not move! But please try not to compare yourself. I read other peoples messages and feel jealous- why were they able to weight bear after such a short time ,why are they able sleep- why are they not in pain all the time...?Maybe something is wrong with my recovery.. 

I think a lot of this has to do with the extent of our injuries- how long we were nwb- what kind of shape we were in before.. if we were managing to find a way to be at all active while not being able to walk..

i think your doing an amazing job. I also observe how you encourage others on this forum.

I think the walker sounds like it might be a great idea...When I started walking I started with taking a few steps with crutches first- then a few more the next day and practiced in a pool at the same time- then I was able to take a few without crutches and a few more and it was extremely exhausting and discouraging but then I could do more-if I did too much I would have to pull back because my foot was so swollen and stiff and in burning pain. I think we hurt as we do more...

i hope your doc is able to give you a pass so you can focus on your recovery it's enough of a job to focus on!!

Please stay in touch, I look forward to hearing in a few weeks that you are progressing with this frustrating job of recovery! Also I hope your doctor can be supportive. Please let me know what happens with the doc..

🚶🚶🚶🚶this WILL be you!

Marge

• Posted

You bet Marge!

Actually I love to hear about people walking because it gives me hope I'll get there soon. My doc wanted me to hold off on PT until the cast was off, my bone graft was not yet fused yet. Next week Ihope for that cast to come off! The boot has sort of a rocket bottom and that has helped with walking . I go next Thursday so I'll keep you posted!

Keep on walking lol🚶???

• Posted

Rocker bottom- spell correct
    • Posted

Hi Marge,

Are you are walking really well now? I have graduated to a shoe and can walk unaided but for only very short distances in the house. I use a crutch or cane to get around faster and when going out, as I tire easily. Pt is good she massages my foot and toes pretty vigorously to get those joints moving. The extra time in the boot has made it a longer recovery for those joints to get ROM back. I have my plate removed in two weeks as it is interfering with ROM and causes pain. I hope that does not set me back!

Is life back to normal for you yet?

I hope so, it is good to hear many of our other forum people are walking better and making progress. I can drive and get out of the house more now and I'm just heading out to the movies!

Take Care

Margie

• Posted

Margie

SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!

I'm glad your walking -

sounds like it's progressing.

You must feel real joy in the improvement and being able to walk unaided!

I am much more mobile and don't tire as easily as I did. I remember just walking a sho distancing and being exhausted and needing to rest. I felt about years old.

I unfortunately am stuck at this point where I am feeling pain most of the time. I was told I have post traumatic arthritis...

I'm hoping it won't always be like this..

I am having 1 piece of hardware out Friday - because they had to place it in to hold all the other pieces together so I'll let you know my experience with that. I could never have imagined how taking a hike in early would have played out- but I'm still hoping things will b better than they are now. And while I do have all the painful I am grateful to be able to walk..

• Posted

Sorry for all typos - writing this while at rehab😉

• Posted

Ha ha I bad for typos too! Well good luck with your procedure and sorry to hear about your continued pain. I'm sending you healing thoughts for a speedy recovery , and please let me know how it goes with the hardware removal.

Take Care!

Margie🌺🌸🌹

• Posted

Thanks Margie for kind thoughts and admitting u mKe boo boos as well😊

I will definitely let you know about the recuperation process from hardware removal( I am only having 1 of the pieces taken out- I think makes a difference how much is being removed.).

How is your pain level?

• Posted

My pain has been pretty good until I try to walk in the shoe unaided then the plate pinches and hurts. I am having just the plate and the 2 screws attaching it out, my. If heal screws will stay in.

I really hate the crutches now and want to be rid of them!!!

• Posted

Margie

What a long ordeal.... I hope getting some of your hardware taken out allievates the pain when u try to walk without crutches- I imagine it must be very frustrating to be on crutches for so long- u are a real trooper! I'm glad you don't seem to be in pain otherwise. I remember when you had all the pain at night.....

As you know I continue to struggle with lots of pain - especially at night- I still am hardly getting any sleep, need ice all night,to keep leg elevated, a compression stocking along with meds at night but am able to walk a couple miles.

Since I will be getting a piece of hardware out tomorrow I will let u know what my experience is -but keep in mind I am only getting 1 screw out - which is over a joint (they had to put it in to support all the heavy duty hardware and( it restricts mobility and the surgeon believes it could easily break.) all the rest of it is staying in..so if you are getting more hardware out your recovery may be longer..but it will be a benchmark.

I hope we are in a much better place 6 months from now!!! This is exhausting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.