SHIN SPLINTS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

How on earth do people treat these? 4 months of physio and no result. I really want to get back training and running again. 

I can feel my shin splints even when I’m completely still and have not ran in weeks and inflammation has gone down. 

Any opinions or advice??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. Keep following advice of your physiotherapist. Gentle low impact sports like swimming may help too.

Injuries can take time to heal. You just need to be careful not to make things worse while you heal.

I don't personally put much stock in it, but you can look into alternative medicine such as acupuncture. But please check with your health care provider first, as always.

Good luck and a a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the response. I will keep it up! It just sucks so much lol
    • Posted

Your welcome. I know it sucks, but it will improve with time. Are you on painkillers? If not it might be worth speaking with your doctor about that. Either orally or as a cream you can apply direct to your shins.

Gentle exercise is good but obviously no running for now.

Long baths can help too. I have a chronic pain condition so I understand how pain affects every aspect of your life. Rest assured it will improve with time.

• Posted

Yeah it sure does affect every aspect. Even just waking up with slight pain every day takes a mental toll on you and all my mates tell me to man up and get over it but they obviously haven’t felt it. 

I havnt had pain killers but I ice it after exercise and light jogging. One of my progrand is to walk for one minute then run for minute on and off for 20 minutes. When ever I do this it is inflamed again so not sure if I should even do that 

• Posted

Yeah honestly even that seems like too much. Jogging/ running is really hard on your shins. And the pain you are getting from doing it is your bodies way of begging you to stop lol. I know it is frustrating, but giving your body a good rest for a few weeks and you'll be back to running before you know it. I would suggest nothing more than walking, swimming and upper body work for now... Though discuss that with your physiotherapist.

• Posted

Oh good luck!  I’ve had shin splints for over 40 years but they are really no longer a problem unless I run. So I don’t. Instead I do other cardio like swimming, power walking or stepping.  Hope you find a magic bullet to heal yours. 
    • Posted

Oh Gee that doesn’t sound good. That’s exactly what I don’t want! I want to be able to run again because I enjoy it and I want to play football again next year so hoping I can mend them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.