Shingels

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been treated for a bad cough for approx 2 mnths with no success I then had a painfull lesion behind my ear and under my chin. It was treated with prednisone and caphalexin for 3 days thinking it was a spider bite. Third visit to my Dr he realised it was Shingles. Am now treated with Valtrex and Endone.

My cough is getting worse and I have small bite like blemmishes on both sides of my body apart from the major lesions behind my ear under my chind and the feeling someone is hitting me with a sledge hammer in the back of my head.Question, could the cough be related to the shingles

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne,

If the lesions behind your ear and chin are on the same side and started as blisters then crusted over, then it could be shingles (Herpes Zoster. ) Shingles does not cross the midline of the body, so a patient should never have the vesicles-blisters on both sides of the body. Shingles can be excruciating, and I see you were thankfully prescribed a Narcotic.

Shingles doesn't cause a cough, however. Re: the small bite like blemishes: do they look like blisters or pustules (pimples?)

They are not shingles as they are on both sides of your body. May I ask your age, as shingles often strikes older individuals?

• Posted

I am 71yrs old, I think I had chicken pocks when I was about 2yrs old
  • Posted

My other concern, Anne, is that your cough is still present and has not been treated adequately. I often think of Asthma , Bronchitis, TB, and Pneumonia in patients whose cough has not cleared in two months. You need to speak with your physician, have a physical exam, and have a chest Xray to rule out causes of the cough.
    • Posted

I have had a chest Xray, nothing there, My cough does not seem to be their concern anymore as I am on the 3rd lot of antibiotics and it is not going,I however as well as my family are worried. I sort of feel they have found the shingles and can treat that so lets not worry about the cough, maybe it will go. I have an other appointment on Thursday with the Dr.
    • Posted

May I ask if you smoke or smoked?

Also, what other medications are you on?

I live across the pond, hence the time difference.

• Posted

Yes I used to be a smoker, gave it up when my daughter fell pregnant.10 yrs ago. I have never had a cough though. I am Diebetic on Janumet, I also take Karvea, Somac and Crestor Thanks for your time
    • Posted

Anne,

How long have you been on the karvea, and have you had your dosage increased in the last six months? Is it a dry cough as compared to a congested cough?

I am truly sorry you are going through this.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you again, it is a conjested cough, but I think my throat is more the problem, I can taste blood when I cough. Yes I have had the Karvea doubled, come to think of it, it is about the time when my cough started. Interesting. Thank you so much, I will waite untill thursday though I am not a good Dr go er don't like feeling like a hypercondriac, I will look up "Karvea" Thank you
    • Posted

Back to the drawing board, there is no mention of a cough in the side effect literature on Karvea.

• Posted

Actually,

Anne

Karvea, or irbesartan, is an angiotensin receptor blocker, and occasionally can cause cough. Usually it is a dry annoying cough. If you suffer from post nasal drip and/or allergies, hay fever, asthma, it could present as more of a congested cough.

As you are a diabetic, the physician placed you on it to protect your kidneys. Usually they place someone on an Ace Inhibitor first, then if they do not tolerate it, usually due to cough, switch to an angiotensin receptor blocker, such as Karvea. When the dose is increased, it can precipitate a cough.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you, I shall lock it in my brain.Although I am a Diebetic I do have an irratic blood pressure it goes from 179 over 81 down to 111 over 62.sometimes in minutes

I can't win I retired last July maybe it was time I have never been what you would call ill

• Posted

Irbesartan is primarily a medication for high blood pressure. It is also used for to protect diabetic kidneys.
    • Posted

Thank you, I am not sure if I feel any more confident in my Dr {I have seen 3 in 1 practice} but I trust you, amazing any one I cough in front of shows concern, but my Dr does not P.S my shingels are mending nicely, mild ache behind the ear and blisters are scabbing up nicely, hopefully gone before my 2yr old grand daughter comes home from Fiji Thank you
    • Posted

I'm happy your shingles is healing. I know how excruciating shingles is, obviously. I also have severe high blood pressure and have been on most classes of high blood pressure meds and therefore well acquainted with adverse reactions and side effects of these medications. As a nurse practitioner, I also know to look at medications a patient is taking for side effects for any new symptoms she is experiencing. Please keep me posted.
    • Posted

Hi Sorry I have not replied sooner, I saw the Dr have had sputum and throat swabs done but have not had any results yet. The shingels scabs appear to be taking a long time to fall off from behind my ear and the mild pain is annoying. My cough is still very bad though I requested to have a trial off Karvea,the stand in Dr said "just don't take any" It amazes me that Dr's can be so flippent with your health. I explained to him that my blood pressure was quite irratic and he prescribed "Zircol" I am tired but there are no changes I can make to slow down ,Damn the shingels and cough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.