Shingle Fatigue Duration

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm new to the site and I appreciate this type of support group! My doctor seems to be a good man but he doesn't listen to a whole lot of details that I give him so I thought I would ask people who have been there and done that so to speak. I thought maybe asking a few questions would be helpful for me to communicate, if there's a better way please let me know. Around the beginning of November (2019) began having a few bouts of fatigue. To best describe, it's that kind of feeling you have if your blood sugar is low, where you feel weird in your arms and legs and feel weak and shaky light-headed etc. It would come in spurts and then just go away. I made an appointment with my doctor, did blood work, everything seemed to be fine with results, with the exception of low vitamin D and creatinine levels that were a little high but he was not concerned about it so he would check that in 6 months. At the time it was usually accompanied with a stomacache and so he gave me a prescription acid reducers. Well, over the Thanksgiving holiday I had a small blister on my back about the size of fifty cent piece, right at that same time I noticed the front of my body was sore like I pulled a muscle, my wife at had shingles so she thought maybe it look like that but seem to not be concerned. The next day I had a small rash of little blisters on my front. The Monday after Thanksgiving I went to my doctor and he said that shingles and gave me 10 day supply of the antiviral to take. Please excuse the long history there but I wanted to be thorough so if anyone were gracious enough to answer my questions they would have information! Not ever having shingles before and comparing it to my wife's outbreak I considered my case a very mild one, never got any more blisters and had some pain but not over the top. So my questions are as follows: 1. Could my feelings of fatigue be traced to the shingles even though it took a couple weeks for rash to appear? 2. Is it still possible to have feelings of this fatigue come on me from time to time even though it's been a little over a month since outbreak? 3. The area on my back where I had shingles had nerve pain, and then while working I pulled a muscle in that same area, could that be related or just a coincidence? I had one of these episodes of fatigue this morning after I worked a couple hours outside physically, but they have seemed to have lessened since I originally went to my doctor about it. Thank you for anyone willing to share your thoughts I really do appreciate it! Dan

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dan - sorry to say that yes! fatigue can be part of shingles. My second bout started on February 5th (writing this reply May 16). In terms of energy and stamina I am not anywhere close to where I was before this outbreak. I had been cross-country skiing most days and now, three months later, I struggle to walk around the block or do a bit of yoga. I have to be careful to manage the little energy that I have. If I overdo things it can take days recover ... and I just can't handle any more setbacks. I feel like I'm getting a preview of what life might be like if I live to 100! Whenever I feel that this fatigue can't still be "just" shingles I come here and it gives me a feeling of greater acceptance to know that others are experiencing similar problems. (Sorry that you have it though guys!).I appreciate all the advice, ideas and support I've found here so thank you to everyone for posting.

• Posted

I was so glad to find your post, and others like it, because I am now having these symptoms after having had shingles, and I've been desperate to find out why I am so exhausted and weak all the time.

I have had shingles twice, this latest bout lasted about two months, and now the spots and pain have almost gone, BUT, now every day - no matter how much sleep I get - I have shaky legs, weakness, a tired headache (rather like having sinusitis) swollen glands and constant exhaustion.

Also, I can't concentrate, which is frustrating because I used to do a lot of research. The only relief I've experienced is finding so many messages online (from ordinary people as opposed to doctors and health experts!) confirming that it's a post-viral syndrome and not my imagination.

Any idea how long this might last? I've read it can be up to a year and that makes my heart sink.

• Edited

I I am 84 years old and had my shingles diagnosed on July 20. The rash itself although uncomfortable and painful from the middle of my chest under my arm and around to the middle of my back was not intolerable. However after almost 2 weeks of having the rash I am now so fatigued and week I pretty much don’t do anything but sleep. It’s not a question of PHN The occasional pain does not keep me awake. September 7 will be seven weeks total. The fatigue and weakness and pounding of my heart is no better. I have been to the cardiologist and the pulmonologist since I have COPD, and they have not attributed this weakness to either the heart or lungs at this time. I had a UTI extremely low potassium, Missed heartbeat which was then regulated by putting me on metoprolol all at the same time as the shingles. I just need to get back to my old self which I’m doubting is ever going to happen at this point. Again it’s overwhelming fatigue and weakness Causing me to not be able to do anything

• Edited

I contracted shingles in June 2022 and yes I also suffered that awful fatigue and exhaustion.

I initially applied Aloe Gel and Bach Rescue Cream to the rash, not at the same time! It was very soothing and helped relieve the pain. I didn't take painkillers, as I'm nervous about the side effects.

Although very painful, I was over the worst of it after a month. But it left me very weak and exhausted. I'm 77 and usually very fit and active, but shingles left me only strong enough and able to walk a few yards. My legs felt wobbly. I was worried I would become housebound.

I then started taking two CoQ10 50mg tablets each day, along with two doses of Floradix liquid iron and vitamins. My appetite gradually returned. I found myself craving foods I wouldn't normally eat, so I trusted my body to tell me what it needed. It worked!

My strength gradually returned. It was a slow process, but I made a point of walking a few yards each day. I gradually increased the distance I walked. Some days I felt too tired to go out, so those days I would rest. I can now walk to the shops and spend time on my allotment. I even went out with friends recently to a gig at our local pub, and danced all evening. I had to rest the next day! I still get days when I'm too tired to do very much, but those days are getting fewer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.