shingle rash under breast

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with shingles 3 weeks ago and started anti viral medication late (5 days after rash). This is my first time having shingles. Besides the exhaustion and nerve pain, the location of the rash is under my breast making it so painful to wear a bra which is making me house bound. I want to ask if anyone had a rash in the same area and if there is a way to speed up the healing. I also have some of the rash looking similar to red pimples. When I don't wear a bra the it is so manageable but when I wear a bra then the discomfort and itchiness is unbearable due to the location of the rash and I have tried every bra including a gauze and no luck due to the location. I cannot get away without a bra due to the size of my bust. I feel so down as I am not sure how long this rash is going to stay and how long am I going to suffer. I remember when I got chicken pox that some of the red pimples never went away and I even still have two of them on  my body from my childhood. I am worried if the shingle pimples remain under my breast and how to deal with it. I also don;t feel that the doctor understands how unbearable it is for the bra to sit on the rash and I had to insist on a doctor certificate just to not wear a bra and stay at home for at least this week. Thank you

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 

I found that zinc and castor oil cream was good to soothe and heal the rash.

Also, Aciclovir Cream will remove the Shingles pimples in less than two weeks. Rub it in vigorously for 10 seconds, twice daily, for best results.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your recommendation! I truly appreciate it
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I haven't tried Aciclovirsmile

• Posted

have you tried a prescription forr lidocaine to numb the area. Also many sunburn sprays have lidocane in them plus a cooling effect from the spray. Helps a lot and nice to have a break. From the itching and pain. 

• Posted

I have tried the numbing cream and it although it helped with itchiness but the moment I removed my bra, you can see area all red and inflamed from the position of the bra on it and numbing cream only works for a whilesmile
    • Posted

I have tried a numbing cream they use prior to operations etc and it does work as in it stops the itching and numbs the area but it doesn't last. However even though it numbs the area, after removing my bra, the area is so red and aggrevated and my breast is so sore as there is also pain where the rash is located and around my ribs. The only time I am feeling relief is when I don't wear any bra and only very loose shirt at home and not lifting my breast which any bra unfortunately doessmile

• Posted

It’s probably going to hurt for ages even after the rash has gone it’ll itch and be uncomfortable.  Maybe try and cover it with a dressing or pad and wear one of those cami tops with elasticated bra inside. Not as supporting as a proper bra but no wires, straps, lace etc. Good luck, it’s horrible but will pass.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to try the cami bra and see how I gosmile
  • Posted

Dear N

I have had recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye. I understand the excruciating pain.

I also had radiation dermatitis from breast cancer so here are some tips from having both. I am also a Nurse Practitioner.

Use Acyclovir Cream. Never rub vigorously, as that will cause your nerve endings to scream!

Use Solarcaine with Aloe as it contains Lidocaine.

Use a lidocaine cream. You can only use it for 12 hours on, 12 hrs off, or your nerve endings get habituated to it.

Buy a loose leisure bra. I still use Hanes Bali Bralettes, a Cami Bra as I cannot tolerate a real bra after my partial mastectomy.

Ask your Physician for analgesics such as Gabapentin and Opioids as shingles is one of the most painful conditions known to mankind.

Shingles can become more painful the second week, BTW. Many Physicians are ignorant of how excruciatingly painful shingles is, how exhausting and fatigued patients become, and the need for rest and sleep to minimize the pain.

If your Physician doesn't understand these basic facts regarding shingles, perhaps it is time to consider changing Physicians.

I am truly sorry you are going through this.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and I am sorry to hear how much you suffered! I truly appreciate all your suggestions and will be trying them!
    • Posted

Dear N...

Please let us know how you are progressing...or not. We are here to support you. Shingles can be tough. Bosses and Physicians can be jerks, but your body's health is the most important priority. It is difficult to advocate for oneself when you are so sick.

Best Wishes to you...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much for your support! I truly appreciate itsmile
  • Posted

Get lidocaine patches and tape them on over thr shingles. i still have nerve pain from my shingles for 6 months i can finally wear a regular bra but cant wait to get home to get it off. I have PHN and on lyrica. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your suggestion! and so sorry to hear that you are still suffering as nerve pain is terrible!

• Posted

Hi,

I am feeling exceptionally fatigued and exhausted and this 4 weeks after being diagnosed with shingles. Is this normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.