Shingle Vaccine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi as anyone had a private prescription for the Shingle Vaccine, and if so did you have to wait long for the pharmacy to get it for you?

Thanks

ukulele girl.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about private prescriptions, but the nhs is apparantly (you probably know this) only offering these injections to people ages 71 and 79!

I am 75 and currently have an attack of the little blighters .... so I asked my gp about the injections only to be told it was just these two age groups - not [u]between[/u] ages 71 - 79. 

So I see why you've gone for a private prescription.

She went on to tell me the vaccine was available in Sept 2013 but so many people wanted it - they ran out!  That may be why you're having to wait for your supply. 

As a matter of interest - how much does it cost?

• Posted

Hi exdancer, The Doctor didn't charge me for writing the prescription, but the cost at the chemist (Boots) was £135 then the Doctor told me to make a appointment with the nurse to give it  to me, which would cost another £45 I gave the nurse a miss and my Daughter-in-law will give me the injection on Thursday. It took 4 day's for the chemist to get hold of it. After reading all about it they advise you once you have the vaccine to stay away from crowds as you could give them chicken pox. I am going to a school concert that is why I am waiting till Thursday. It also say's that you may get chicken pox yourself? Hope not! I will keep you informed. Hope your shingles go soon. Is this your first bout of Shingles? if so I would wait a while because you may not get them again. I have them at least 8-10 times a year and have done for over 30 years. That is why I payed for the prescription. I just hope it works now. I will keep you posted.
    • Posted

Thats a  lot of money for a single injection isn't it?  Makes you appreciate the nhs when you think about it.

I have had an attack before so I knew what to expect so I got an emergency appointment (where you hang around at home and wait for a phone call) and actually saw my own doctor.  After only 4 pills the discomfort is easing and leaves only the itching.  She actually told me I wouldn't give anybody anything unless their immune system was compromised .... but advised me to stay at home and not mingle.

Re the eye - she didn't tell me what to look for, just to get in touch if thee were 'complications'.  I wish I'd thought to inquire exactly what these complications are likely to be!

Good luck with your injection (what fun injecting your M in L) and I hope you don't have chicken pox.

• Posted

Are you in theUS? Vaccine is available in UK if you are 70 or 79. Yes that's right. Only at two birthdays. It's too expensive I guess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.