Shingles!!!!!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

After a short flight I started experiencing sharp pains in my right chest..... 5 days later was at outpatients where they tested for everything cardiac and pulmonary..... Was sent to family Dr who asked if I had a rash anywhere and my husband said yes as he noticed a red patch on My back while doing up my hospital gown. I had been a bit itchy in that spot... Anyhow I do not have any pain at rash site just the severe pain in my chest. Dr says the pain can present along any nerve.... Has anyone ever had shingles symptoms like this ??????????

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Charlene;

If you get a chance, go under my username, and read a little bit about my past with Shingles. To answer ur question, that almost the signature of Shingles. Anywhere that the rash is, and the nerve at the root of the Shingles, follow those nerves, and you can have pain anywhere along where they travel. I also get viral or flu-like symptoms, upper respiratory symptoms, heaviness in my chest and back and on and on.

It takes time for the retreat of the symptoms, some come before the outbreak, some during, and some after. Good luck, and if u need to talk, message me.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I wasn't sure how a shingles rash on my back could cause such severe chest pain!!.....I am hoping for a quick recovery!!
  • Posted

Dear Charlene;

Hopefully, you will have a quick recovery. However, if you don't, don't be discouraged, it normally takes atleast several weeks for a full recovery. If you haven't researched my name, I have reoccurring Shingles.

• Posted

Hi, I am interested in your comments. I developed shingles 1st April , after 7 days I had PHN. After a cocktail of drugs, I am still unable to drive, still off work and feeling more and more socially isolated . I have a good circle of friends but I need to decline all invites to go out ( except a few shopping  trips). Going to pain management on Monday . Currently taking 1,800 mgs gabapentin , patches on 12 hours a day and 30mg amatriptaline . 

Please do you have any further advice - the pain and time to get better is driving me crazy!!

thank you 

• Posted

Hi Alexis. I too started with shingles at Easter, saw doc after but a bit too late for anti viral she precribed I think. Still getting PHN but not always in the same places as the rash was! I had it in my scalp, upper right arm and wrist/thumb area. I believe it's what they call Viremia, or the persisting virus in the system. My GP did not know much about shingles, she had to go online to look up which dermatone affects these areas! Didn't seem to have an answer about the scalp! I'm still getting scalp pain and the occasional bit of rash on scalp plus headache and fatigue at times. I guess this is the reoccurring pattern that others have mentioned. I find rest and/or sleep helps me, as much as possible! Fortunately I'm retired and can do this.  I found out more on this website than at surgery!rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Ellie, I completely agree with you regarding GP's lack of information . My GP asked me what medication I wanted next.  Today has been my best day for 2 and half months. Did a few jobs in the house - totally in my own time (although I had a sleep twice). Hoping pain management clinic tomorrow will give me some answers. I too have a very itchy scalp with hair falling out in handfuls. I feel sometimes this is a nervous reaction. Got to get this sorted, or I will be wearing a wig in no time. 

Dam stabbing pains are back again - just wish I could sleep as well in bed as I do on the sofa . 

Take care 

Alexis

• Posted

I've given up the Doc for now, no useful info as I said before. Had a long busy day today, Grandaughters 25th Birthday and some spicy food at a Cuban restaurant! Enjoyed it but tired and very itchy again tonight! Plus aching shoulder and back again. Could certain foods make symptoms worse plus being very tired I wonder? Quiet day tomorrow and wait and see! Night night, hope the bed bugs don't bite! (Thay would just be the finishing touch!)  lol twisted
    • Posted

Hi Ellie

went to pain management on Monday . Completed online questionnaire. That was quite general. Outcome - continue with Lidocaine patches, reduced gabapentin , continue with amatriptaline . 1-1 pain management with referral to consultant in the lead clinic. I am also practising breathing from my diaphragm rather than the shallow breathing due to the pain.

feel a lot brighter in myself.

How are you feeling?

Regards Alexis

• Posted

Hi Alexis,

I'm still full of aches and pains and itching, especially my scalp. Itching is a form of pain too I read somewhereI suppose this is PHN we read so much about on here! Must be the nerves in my head!!! twisted  It's also been very humid and this seems to set my problems off again. I also have Osteo Arthritis which does not like humid weather either! I'm pleased to hear you had a good visit to the pain clinic. Anything which helps you feel better must be OK. smile  Chatting on here helps too as friends and family must get fedup with hearing me moan! lol rolleyes Keep in touch with us all.

Best wishes Ellie.

• Posted

Good Morning Ellie

i think I must have overreacted yesterday with my 'good' news. What a bad night I had! This morning the pain is as bad as ever - aargh!!!

Had 600mg gabapentin for breakfast. 

Interestingly my head is very itchy and hair falling out by the handful. Forever unclogging the vacuum . 

I was really hoping to go back to work next month but I think that is unlikely. 

Hope you have a better day.

Alexis

• Posted

Sorry it's all still happening for you Alexis. I think it would be a good idea to stay on the 'sick' if your GP will sign you off again. It takes a lot out of your body just trying to fight the virus let alone working. I just wanted to sleep all the time and still napping when I feel the need to. Can't concentrate if I get overtired and I start doing silly things. It's like the "fibro fog" I've been reading about on here and some of the pain symptoms a very similar too! frown Fortunately I'm retired and can do what my body dictates these days. Hope you have the empathy of your Doc. Some of them have no idea about shingles I'm afraid. Keep resting and hopefully you will start to improve soon. Keep in touch with us all. Best Wishes Ellie X rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.