shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a care worker and I have been asked to look after a lady with shingles. I have had chicken pox as a child. But my concern is for my daughter in law who is pregnant and her six month old baby who live with me. Could they get infected if I have  to look after this lady. Could I pass on tge virus.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Shirley,

I would not like to comment as to whether or not you could pass on this virus. Normally anyone with shingles can pass on the virus as c/p

to those who have never had c/p. It is a fact that pregnant ladies are at risk when coming in to contact with shingles, sugesting you could be a carrier this I am not sure of. Sorry my only simple suggestion is to give your surgery a ring and ask. Failing that perhaps the agency you work for could chase this one up.

Any help?

Jackie

• Posted

My understanding is that someone would have to be in contact with the leaking fluid from the shingles blisters to catdh chicken pox.  I assume that your daughter-in-law will not be in the same building as your patient so she would not be in any danger.  However, I am sure that you would be scrupulous about cleansing yourself after your care duty so that it would not be carried forward to anyone in your family or immediate circle.  Please, also, do ask your son and daughter-in-law to have the baby vaccinated against chicken pox at the appropriate time ~ I cannot imagine any thinking person allowing a child to be at risk for shingles in the future.  We were not so fortunate when I (or your patient) was a child and we are paying for it now.
  • Posted

hi even though you are caring for someone who have shingles you have to keep your hands clean keep your cloth cleans like change your cloth when you get home when the bilsters brust make sure you have on gloves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.