shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had shingles over a month ago in my head and was treated for it ...now the itching in my head won't stop

..I can't stop scratching any ideas

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It can take a very long time for symptoms to go away. I had forehead and eye shingles six months ago. Rash !Ong done but pain and burning persist. Look up post herpetic neuralgia.
  • Posted

Pauline,

What medication are you on currently?

You have Post Herpetic Neuralgia and need to see a neurologist ASAP to be treated with medications.

Try cool compresses and Lidocaine or Benzocaine sprays/ cream for the scalp/ face depending on the location of the itching.

The neurologist might be able to give you medications to tone down the itching.

Apparently, antihistamines do not help. Try corticosteroids cream, as well, but the response was that they were not very helpful, either.

Itching is as bad as the pain....

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi, I'm new with the shingles however, I to have it on my scalp and has been driving me a bit crazy. I poured calamine lotion in my hair and softly rubbed it in. I don't know if it is a good thing to do, but it helps for a little while. I've also use a cool gel pac. Again, I did these things on my own and don't know if it's the right thing to be doing.  Now mine is more painful than itchy but still using the  calamine lotion.

i hope you get some good ideas and feel better!

• Posted

Have your tried cortisoid creams for scalp. Also see a derm many creams that can help with itching also available OTC.

The itching drives me crazy as I get it all over . I use a prescription med Hydroxyzine HCL. it's the only thing that helps one pill stop the itching.

take care peace and Healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.