Shingles

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a stent fitted six months ago, since then#

dr has prescribed four different statins and a fibrate,  All have made me react badly in various ways.  The fibrate cause a very itchy rash which appeared six weeks ago.  I have seen two drs who prescribed antihistimines and creams, didnt help.  Yesterday was told its shingles so have to take five pills per day for one week! Also have had four bladder infections (I just know its the pills) I have never taken pills in my life, except antibiotics!  This shingles is painful feels like im being stabbed. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how long I can expect to feel like this 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine!

I am sorry you are going through the coronary artery disease with stent placement, urinary tract infections, drug reactions with itching, and now herpes zoster shingles! The only medication that helped with my itching-allergic reactions to various statin medications was Doxepin, a prescription medication.

Where is the Herpes Zoster Shingles rash? Are the drug rashes gone? If the rash/pain is not on your head, hopefully the antiviral medication will slow the progression of the disease. The worst pain is usually the first two weeks. The pain/rash slowly resolves over the next few weeks.

Has the physician given you any analgesic for the pain?

Herpes Zoster Shingles is one of the most painful afflictions of mankind...the physician should have offered a strong analgesic, even an Opioid, for the pain. If you are having trouble coping with the pain, I urge you to ask your physician for strong analgesic medication.

I also urge you to rest and sleep and sleep and rest. Do not power through this. Take off from work.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years and twice in my right eye.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Thanks for your reply.  First I had itching then about a week later the rash appeared, waist to knees.  I have read that the best outcome is when you start the medicine early ie up to three days of first rash. That was not me! I have taken two days of tablets absolutely not improvement.  I cant bear clothes to touch me even.  I have cocodomol but try not to take those because they constipate me then piles is a problem.  I am in the UK and the last two days have been hot for us, so that doesnt help.  I dont feel that tired either. I am convinced all this medication is causing the bladder infections too.  I hope i dont get this anymore let alone every three years.  Hope you are doing ok now Christine
    • Posted

Forgot to say the dr has given me pills for the shingles, five a day for one week, would you expect that to help me 

• Posted

The first two days of pills you will not feel any change in the level of the pain. My shingles causes such severe pain that even a whisper of wind by my ear causes excruciating pain. It is called allodynia, the exaggerated response to painful stimuli.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.