Shingles

Posted , 3 users are following.

Diagnosed 10 days ago with shingles, past three days my foot and toes have been extremely itchy and blisters between my small toe and underneath, just came back from Dr well (PA)  he claims it's not shingles it's a form of athlete foot?? Not sure if I believe that feels just like my shingles on my side .. same side of body

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Nancy,

Where exactly is the location of the first rash?

While tinea pedis (athletes foot) can itch and burn, it is superficial compared to the deep burning agonizing pain and itching of shingles.

Which antiviral were you originally prescribed, and for how long?

Many times shingles can reoccur or continue on the same dermatome, especially if you are immunocompromised.

Medical professionals can be abysmally ignorant regarding the diagnosis and treat of Herpes Zoster Shingles. If you are having significant pain, it is not athletes foot, it is shingles. You would need to start on preferably Famciclovir 500mg p.o. for 10 days, not Acyclovir or Valcyclovir, as the virus has become resistant to Acyclovir, and Valcyclovir is based on Acyclovir.

Dermatomes on the body are quirky how shingles is located, so it is possible to have it on your hip or buttock area, and on your toes. It is also possible to have shingles pop up in another place. Please write back ASAP regarding the original rash site. Also, is the Athletes foot cream prescription working, ie relieving the itching?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years and twice in my eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

You obviously have done your homework, as have I. I have had recurrent episodes on the top of my head under my hair and on both sides for 12 years of misery  .  I have tried many many things. I now qualify for legal medical marijuana and have begun putting the CDB oil directly on my poor scabby healing head ... it is removing the icky build up plus healing the new sores

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Merry, the first rash started on my left hand side waist, 11 days ago. I was prescribed val & gabapentin for 10 days  about 3 days ago the intense pain in between my toes and itchy unbearable felt just like my shingles. 

Went to walk in the dr said no and gave me Econaze cream ... no relief !

I was currently in pain management for the past 5 years for another issue and take 5 mg of Percocet upped my pain meds to 10 mg of  Percocet  and prescribed lidocaine patches 5%

My boss has no empathy at this point ! It's awful to say maybe if he had shingles he would know the pain

• Posted

I would question this as well. So many doctors do not know that shingles can occur on both sides of the body And sometimes in areas distant from each other. Keep taking your anti-viral medicine. Merry describes it well. Merry can we keep in touch? I am Nancy Tucker

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Nancy,

If it is the deep burning pain like Shingles, the rash has tiny red vesicles-blisters on a red base, the vesicles are coming in crops, and the vesicles look slightly different from one another, then it is definitely Herpes Zoster Shingles.

I would suggest that you consult with another physician, not the PA, and they can perform a PCR from the fluid in the vesicles. In the meantime, you need to get back on Famciclovir 500mg 3X daily for 10 days, as the antiviral will not harm you.

Go today, as the vesicles will dry up! The econazole would have provided some relief if it were athlete's foot, I assure you.

I again hope you get some relief from this whole process soon....I do know how you feel about poor diagnostics and treatment, and the pain, and the condescending medical staff and arrogance.

Best Wishes

Please let me know how you make out!!?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I wish there was a way to upload a photo so you could see it. He barely looked at it! Going to my regular Dr. tomorrow after work. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for time writing back to me, you feel all alone when your around people whom who have never had shingles! This is so far worse than anything I have ever had. Thanks again Nancy 
    • Posted

Nancy,

My first episode of Herpes Zoster Shingles, my allergist didn't know what the excruciating ear pain was. The two ENTs accused me of narcotic seeking, although I never asked for pain meds. Finally, after 3-1/2 weeks of severe agonizing pain, a neuro-otologist diagnosed it as Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear. It was too late for antivirals by then... I lost a huge amount of my hearing.

That is why I help people here, due to the enormous suffering from Herpes Zoster Shingles and abysmally ignorant and arrogant physicians.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Numerous dermatologists, pain Doc, Infectious Disease Doc all said the  excruciating pain on the top of my head could not be shingles because Shingles is "supposed to be" only on one side of the body. Wrong! I went Doc shopping for a year. Finally a Dr. friend suggested I go to a Wound Doc and get a biopsy a year into this. Sure enough ... extensive analysis and the results showed positive for ACTIVE ZOSTER (Shingles). I never had the benefit of early diagnosis and treatment with an antiviral medicine.  Now 12 years later the episodes come and go with post herpetic neuralgia pain in between. Medical marijuana was just legalized here in Florida. I have just begun to take it orally and put the CDB component topically on this painful rash. I will keep you updated regarding any progress. I have tried everything else ... hoping.

• Posted

Hi Ochio!

I sent you a private message by clicking on the envelope.

Also, Google Herpes and follow high Lysine low Arginine diet. It really helps to suppress the varicella virus. It takes time. I am not a health food fanatic, BTW.

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.