Shingles

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have never started a discussion but I needed some answers as I am sure others with shingles are wondering the same thing. How long after the rash do you start to blister? How long can you feel sick and tired and weak?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The blistering happens within a few days.  I don’t think anyone can answer definitively on how long you can feel sick, tired, and weak.  For me it was 12 weeks.  I’m still not at 100% and seriously wonder if I ever will be.
  • Posted

I was fortunate & only had a mild case of shingles, I started on meds within 72 hours of noticing the rash & it never spread.  For me the  blisters started about 4 days after the rash & I also used calamine lotion to help dry them up. It's been over 3 weeks & I'm feeling great, just started riding my bike again. Although the first several days I did nap often, felt run down & had some pain from the rash. I read an article on what foods to eat & avoid & I pretty much stuck to the list.  Everyone's experience is different & most have a more severe case than I did.

Hope this helps you, best of luck ,   Pat

• Posted

I had quite a severe case of shingles back in July last year...scalp and right side of face ..eye, nose, cheek, inside mouth and lip. Also right temple and down which I was told meant it had gone along two routes. I remember the blisters started very soon after first signs of the rash. I was very poorly and in bed for about a week. I didn't have the energy to go out for many weeks after that. I was quite shocked at just how exhausted I felt although having RA it was difficult to know which was the bigger cause but I think the shingles virus was to blame from reading how others have been. The sickness only lasted for the first week which affected my appetite and I lost weight...the only positive. Unfortunately after that my appetite returned! After about 3 mths I was able to gradually get back to daily walking..was lovely to get out in the fresh air and helped mentally too. 7 months on and the main problem I have is I still have a red blotchy area on my face, some numbness and quite sore areas. I was told this is PHN...post herpetic neuralgia...and could take up to 2 yrs to go...or be permanent. I truly hope not although I can manage it and don't need to take painkillers for it it's really unpleasant. Before I had shingles all I thought it was was a rash on the body that eventually went away. I had no idea of how awful it can be. I've read up plenty since. This forum has been so helpful too because at its worst I felt very low and it did help to know it wasn't me just being a wimp. Wishing you well and a speedy recovery. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Hi Mary sorry you are suffering with this horrible illness. I'm lucky in the sense it never makes me feel sick. But having reoccurring shingles is terrible. I am having an outbreak at the moment, it started a week ago. Some blisters came out right away, on my left buttock and left leg. They are still there and have now also have them on my right leg and in the groin. So much for you can't have them on both sides together. I cannot take the meds as they make me really sick. So it could be them that are making you feel sick. Hate to say this but they are also inside my bottom. But have had them that many times I know it will pass. Also I had the vaccine 2 years ago and didn't have them for 3 months. But then they came back. The pain is different for everyone. I am taking pregabalin only at night to help me sleep a little. I was taking gabapentin but the side effects the next morning were awful. My vision was very hazy so much so I couldn't drive and was walking around looking drunk. They did help the pain somewhat but being a full time carer for my husband, I couldn't take them. I have to be with it all the time. I really feel for you Mary and wish you well. Xxx

• Posted

I currently have them, i felt extremely sore and achy a few days before my rash appeared.  My rash is about 4 days and its not all that bad, has not blistered or crusted yet but my left side is still very sore.  I do feel weak and tired because I cannot sleep comfortably, I toss and turn all night.  I started Zovirax on Saturday. 
  • Posted

I always had night sweats with high fever for 2 - 3 nights before outbreak. Then rash would appear with itch & heat for 3-4 days before blisters would appear.  As for a prescription that would knock it out fast for me is Tamaflu.  But after 4 times of shingles I took matters in my own hands. I eat 2 cloves of garlic , 1 tablespoon of ACV every morning. I drink a mirical drink every morning. Which is organic beet,carrot,&apple juice every morning . 3 or 4 times a week I make a smoothie with tamarind & Granabana pulp. Both fruits are very antiviral & antibacterial. I have not had shingles since & I don’t think I can get the flu.      I did get compose in my eyes yeasterday & now have a fungal Infection in both eyes. That’s no fun either 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.