Shingles-Almost no pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an itchy spot start on my back with another small one on my stomach. I thought it was an allergic reaction. I have no recollection of any pain, tiredness, flu like symptoms, nothing but a rash. About 10 days later, I had 8-10 spots, so  I went to the doctor, who diagnosed Shingles and started me on an anti viral. The antiviral did its job. I have had mild waves of a dull ache and spots of sharp pain, but too infrequent to even take a Tylenol. So, it is possible to have Shingles with little to no pain. 

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Cyndie,

Yes, it is possible to have shingles with little or no pain, especially if you are younger. Some individuals experience a little itching, some have absolutely no pain at all, and some experience the severe, agonizing pain that shingles is infamous for. I am glad you do not have a severe case. Please take all the antivirals, as directed, however.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

There is something called disseminated herpes that is Simplex 1 (fever blister) breaking out on different parts of the body.  Typiecally Simplex 1 means itching, Shingles means pain.  I suspect you have this vs. Shingles.  Which doesn't matter.  Both are treated with Valtrex.  
    • Posted

i know this is an old post, but i thought simplex 1 was oral fever blisters around the mouth region only? probably wrong but anyways... and simplex 2 was genital
    • Posted

Jim,

Simplex 1 virus usually means the viral lesions found around the oral cavity. Simplex 2 virus usually connotated the lesions found in the ano-genital region. However, based on the sexual history, the Simplex 1 virus can be found in the anogenital region, and vice versa.

The varicella virus causes chicken pox and Herpes Zoster-shingles. This is much more painful and debilitating than Simplex 1 or 2.

In Simplex 1 and 2, the vesicles appear all at the same time and look the same. In Zoster-shingles, they appear in crops over a period of five days and are different shapes and sizes.

Hope this helps.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi juliana

Thanks that does make sense. So if its a rash on the body it wont be simplex 1 or 2 i gather. I posted a pic of my rash in my initial blog message smile

• Posted

Jim,

It is difficult to diagnose anyone from a picture. It did not look like shingles, but the picture was unclear. Your best bet is to see a physician, go to urgent care, or A&E.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry J

I will see a doc tomorrow, my pain is well and truely under control, in fact I still take ibuprofen, but I think its more the fear of pain then anything else,  and its only itching patches so I dont have the searing pain like some on here describe (I am so sorry to those who have this!), plus its been a couple days since the rash came out, 3 or 4 days even, but theres no further advancement to date.

I know its been said a million times over, but its people like you that help SO much, especially being a nurse! Often information online can be so badly misinterpreted.

• Posted

Jim,

I am truly happy to help you.

Again,

All the best!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks ladies. Whatever it is, I am counting my blessings. And I am 57 years old, so not too young.
  • Posted

Hi Cindi.

Stay healthy with regular exercise and plenty of lemon drinks . The first attack may be mild and it is best to keep an eye on your lifestyle. It is the immune system that you need to boost up.

Take Care

Jukym

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.