Shingles and eye burning

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently got shingles on my forehead - which appeared as bumps (not blisters). I really thought it was a spider bite! It broke out on Tuesday, and broke open on Friday. I decided to wait it out over the weekend, but on that Sunday night I was in so much pain I could not sleep all night - headache that radiated from my forehead. I went to the doctor on Monday who diagnosed it as shingles and got Valtrex - 1000 mg 3 times a day for 7 days. On Tuesday morning I woke up with a lot of swelling above my nose and my right eye. Thankfully the swelling receded and the rash on my forehead is healing. I am still dealing with fatigue and body aches, although they seem to have improved. For the past 2 weeks I have had burning in both eyes and some redness. It may just be my allergies but I am a little concerned it may be due to the virus. I did not break out around my eyes - the rash was only on my right forehead. Should I be concerned?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you had any blisters or break out on your nose on that same side of your forehead you should definitely see an ophthalmologist. The nerve runs through the eye. This is what happened to me. Still not back to normal. Since 12/2017.
    • Posted

Hi Lynn, and thanks for your reply. My question is did it affect both eyes or just on one side? I learned as you said that the nerve runs behind the eye - when I press on my nearly healed bumps with some pressure I can feel pain behind my right eye. I have no feeling however on the bumps themselves - that area is completely numb. I did not have a breakout on my nose at all just upper part of my forehead, right side. After receiving your reply and another, you have both told me what I already know deep down. Thanks very much and I hope that you will soon find some resolution smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.