Shingles and Eyes

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been told to keep a watch on one shingles blister on my eyelid - right on the lashline. 

I was not told what to look for, and didn't think to ask at the time.  Can anyone tell me what changes to expect if there are compications? I have an attack of shingles and have been given anclovir which are doing a good job.

I have one blister on my eyelid right next to the lashes and have been told to watch it and to contact the surgery if I'm at all worried. I forgot to ask my doc at the time - just exactly what am I looking for?

Can anyone tell me what symptoms I can expect if there are 'complications' with my eye? Redness? Pain? Swelling? Weeping?

I'm confused. At the moment its itching like mad and I have to be careful not to rub it .... the lid is a bit swollen and find of hanging down into my line of sight which is odd, but the white of the eye is clear. I have an attack of shingles and have been given anclovir which are doing a good job.

I have one blister on my eyelid right next to the lashes and have been told to watch it and to contact the surgery if I'm at all worried. I forgot to ask my doc at the time - just exactly what am I looking for?

Can anyone tell me what symptoms I can expect if there are 'complications' with my eye? Redness? Pain? Swelling? Weeping?

I'm confused. At the moment its itching like mad and I have to be careful not to rub it .... the lid is a bit swollen and find of hanging down into my line of sight which is odd, but the white of the eye is clear. II

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds as though you have blephoritis as well. Google it to discover how to deal with it. You have it for life! Whereas the shingles should eventually go, though I remain scratching my crazily itching scalp when tired. As the shingles has attacked face head and eyes, I've worked out that the blephoritis probably came in with it.  It attacks particularly dry eyes, and the gritty sensation makes for really itching eyes. So do follow the treatment advice regularly. I also consulted my optician as he knows all about eye health and my GP was reluctant to send me to an eye Consultant at my local hospital. I was recommended to buy some Vicotears and use them night and morning. 
    • Posted

I've never heard of blephoritis so I'll google it in a mo, but I do have dry eyes and also use Visotears regularly anyway especially afterlooking at  computer too long.  I did consider popping in to Specsavers when  shingles has cleared up.

• Posted

Give specs avers a miss. They are there to sell you glasses. I happen to have a highly recommended optician in the high street, and he knows about eyes. He gave me a much more thorough test than I've ever had at Boots or any other chain. They just employ locum opticians. Anyway this guy really knew about eyes, your GP will know about blephoritis too. The daily warming and washing is very important. It's hell but so is the itching since shingles in my eye and scalp
  • Posted

Re reading your first post. I suggest you google up NHS choices. Excellent website with answers to all illnesses, conditions, etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.