Shingles and flu shot

Posted , 3 users are following.

My shingles appeared about 3 weeks ago. (first case) I thought they were gone but have had a few restless nights this week. I'm wondering if it's safe to get a flu shot. It's getting late in the season and I get the flu shot every year. I missed one year about 4 years ago and ended up losing my hearing in one ear. Very bad case! I have COPD and am on a few meds to treat it. Any advice will be appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sorry about getting the shingles, however you stayed "they're gone." Did you get anti-virals within a few days of the first symptoms? If you didn't it's rare that all the symptoms disappear in 3 weeks. Some people have a very strong immune system and can fight it off faster than others, but I just wanted to clarify that you may not be done with it yet.

Personally, I'd hold off for at least a few weeks before getting a flu shot. I wouldn't want to risk anything right now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.