Shingles and HIV

Posted , 5 users are following.

I remember hearing on TV that if you have shingles you may also have HIV or maybe herb that I may had heard. But does it take 8 years to find out you have shingles and second stage of HIV? I had no sex in 8 years and I have 2 adults children.

If someone can explain this to me because I'm confuse and depress.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do NOT worry! This isn't accurate, it's a misrepresentation of the idea that people who get shingles may have a compromised immune system. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIV! I don't know the statistics but very few people with shingles are HIV positive. Just like if you're under stress, have had chemo or other underlying health conditions, you're more prone to develop other infections. That's all it means. Most people who I've come across in forums or groups who had shingles had been dealing with a lot of stress, other people just get it. Remember, no connection.

If you had chicken pox, the virus is dormant in your body, waiting to become active, so when you're vulnerable physically, it may manifest itself. Just like if you're run down, you may get a cold or pneumonia.

• Posted

Dear Colleen,

Please do not worry. For the vast majority of individuals, it is waning immunity due to age and stress. On this forum, I have not had one person state he has HIV.

There are some conditions that make you more prone to having Herpes Zoster-Shingles including

Autoimmune diseases SLE, ITP, RA, Sjogrens, Psoriasis,

Cancer,

Taking Corticosteroids or Bioimmunologic medications

IBD.

Most of the time it is just aging.

I am sorry you are going through this, however.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Shingles is a form of herpes but I don’t think there’s a connection with HIV.  It certainly doesn’t take eight years to find out if you have shingles.  Merry Juliana will probably comment on this and she has a lot of clinical expertise.  I have never worried one minute about being HIV positive and don’t think you should either!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.