Shingles AND just plain sick, really?? ENOUGH!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, 3 months into my shingles, usual symptoms, usual meds. I'm getting better then, I got a cold. I'm the type that says a cold is just a cold, ignore it. But it seems that when you've got shingles and a run-of-of-mill illness the body is not happy. I had 101 fever last night and 100.5 this morning, while on extra strength Tylenol, Seriously you stupid body! I've already missed two months of work, then then I started working, had to cut back to four days a week, not fine.

I called the doctor, who IS smarter than I, and he said, he's not worried about me being contagioius, but the fever is a sign from the body to just rest. I may be stubborn, but I'm not stupid, so I am staying home today and tomorrow. I'm going to have some very unhapppy co-workers who have to cover for me.

So, anyone else the body over-react to a simple illness when you've got shingles? This is NOT influenza, it just a basic headcold.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my first and hopefully last episode of shingles in July of last year. My body hasn't been the same since. I hate to tell you that but it's true. I'm 60 years old and from what I remember you are much younger so you've got youth on your side.

All I know for sure is that when your body says rest-you need to rest. A temperature is a sign of your body fighting something. Oftentimes itself.

Listen to your body and take care of YOU!

Prayers for you to feel better soon🙏

• Posted

That's so sweet Jericho, but sadly I am actually one year older than you, but dang it, before shingles felt 15 years younger (and acted that way too). Yeah, I agree, my body is fighting itself. This is so unusual for me. I'm  usually very healthy, get a cold about once every 4 years, so 3 months of this is unpleasant and uncommon.

• Posted

Babs,

Are you sure it is not developing into influenza? With just a cold, you do not have a fever, at all! Be prepared to go to the physician and have more severe symptoms. I hope you don't.

Do you have a headache, aches and pains, malaise, burning in your chest, trouble breathing, sore throat, chills and sweating, ear ache, sinus pain?

If you have trouble breathing, go to the physician straight away.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

No, negative, nada, but thanks for asking Merry. I haven't had influenza for years, but when I got it, I went from "hmm, am I getting sick?" to "Holy @*&! in about 4 hours. But this time, no aches or chest pain, and the only trouble breathing is my stuffy nose LOL. Well, I do have some chest pain, but not that kind--it's where my shingles are (in addition to my back.)

Seriously, the cold symptoms are much improved, it hit hard and fast after fighting it off for days, but I felt really bad for only 2 days. I will keep an eye on it, because this fever did throw me a bit. That's why I called the doctor. In case you don't remember, I was a medical secretary for 30 years, so I picked up a few things in that time. I seldom go to the doctor as so much is self-limiting, but today, I knew I needed his advice. So, AGAIN, I'm staying home. The only good thing is that my boss is stil supportive, but I feel terrible about calling in again.

• Posted

Babs,

I forgot you were a medical secretary, but when you are the patient, all common sense can go out the window...I am a Nurse Practitioner, so I know from personal experience...Just worried about you...

Get better

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry, that's a good point. I'm really going to take it easy in case something's lurking.

• Posted

Unfortunately, the shingles pain has gotten worse the last few days. I don't know if it's just the viruses somehow making it worse or the sneezing and blowing. But I've generally gotten past the stage where any pain lasts more than 1-10 minutes. I can be generally uncomfortable, but that serious burning,stabbing pain hasn't been an issue for about 3 weeks.

I had hoped to decrease the Gab again, get back to a more normal life like driving a car and do more things, but it doesn't seem like it. So, yes I'm getting quite "discouraged", (nice euphamism, isn't it?) as I feel like I've gone back almost a month in my recovery.  But on the plus side, no fever, no increased cold/flu symptoms.

• Posted

Yes!! Been sdealing with it for 3 years and it is so frustrating. I just had an episode of shingles followed by a cold, that has too knocked me off my feet. Ugh!! Are you joking me, it's a damn cold!

• Posted

Michelle,

Sorry you have been ill...Just finished another bout of Herpes Zoster-Shingles after none for five months.

When is a cold not a cold, you ask? When it is pneumonia.

I had scarlet fever, pyelonephritis, gout, and Herpes Zoster-Shingles all at once last year.

Sometimes, a sore throat morphs into much more than you bargained for. Just be careful...You never know how ill you might become. A simple cut can morph into toxic shock. This is the ICU nurse talking, but I know what can happen oh, so quickly.

Our immune systems are impaired or we wouldn't be getting Herpes Zoster-Shingles, recurrent.

Just take care, shoe lady....

Best wishes for the New Year

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I was doing so good, for the longest time in 3 years!! I thought, maybe, I was beating it! But, no!! Thanks for the reminder to take care of myself with extra TLC, even though it's "just a cold"! I am so happy to hear the diet is helping you. I believe I relapsed on Jan 5th because I was lenient on my diet during December. Some chocolate and nuts here and there. Way more sugar than normal. Surprise, shingles!

• Posted

Michelle, My Darling Shoe Lady,

I know the diet helps reduce the frequency and severity of the episodes! I am so grateful to you for your knowledge and support and comfort...

We moved into a new build house in the woods that we bought after living in a dingy rental....Loads of closets...A Laundry room /Utility Room...My brother in law Ian, who is 75 and looks like Santa's elf, and twin Holly helped with the move November 9th and after. Ian helped construct a laundry room, master bedroom closets, towel bars, stair railings, etc etc bath tub safety railing. He showed my son how to clean gutters....And all things mechanical...The house is together, just the garage needs to be organized...My balance after Zoster Oticus has returned, physical balance, that is...

I hosted Christmas with my twin, Ian, and nephew...My only cousin just moved to Delaware, and celebrated with us Christmas and his family, as well. Now he is 50 km away, instead of 300 km.

BTW,

I am completely disgusted with the American people who voted for DT. Don't they read history? My parents served in WWII in Europe in the Battle of the Bulge, Rhineland, etc, as physician and nurse and saw the horrors of war.

Somehow, this site keeps my sanity...

I hope your family is well.

Best wishes in the New Year!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Well Merry, you're getting a bit Off Topic LOL! And you're VERY lucky that I did not support that person, and in fact was at a locall rally in my community, part of the Women's March going on world wide today! I only wanted to stop for a few minutes to voice my support, as you all know, I feel lousy, but they started earlier than I expected and we had to drive a few blocks to find them. I did walk about 9 blocks all together, a lot more than I've done since hiking in October in our National Parks, but it was worth it. I know cold and damp does NOT make you ill, but I'd better not get sick again!!

• Posted

Babs,

Oh well, if they voted for *&$, I don't care, I was writing to Michelle, actually....

When you reach a certain age, you don't care what other people think of you. Michelle lives in the UK.

I hope you are feeling better, now...

Do take care.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

My goodness Merry!! That is a lot of big things to be stressed over at one time. How did you fare with the nasty virus through it all?

I am so thrilled that I was able to help you, as you do so much for so many with your knowledge and expertise!!

• Posted

Sorry, forgot you already said that you just got through an episode. Delete my question above😜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.