shingles and lump in breast

Posted , 11 users are following.

It appears my 23 yo daughter has shingles (waiting on results of swab) however at the same time she has noticed a lump in her breast and two lumps in her armpit which are on the same side as the blisters.  She is scheduled to have a mammogram and biopsy but was wondering if anyone else had lumps in breasts as a symptom of shinges.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I did have a lump under my left breast. Now that I am in the 4th week with these shingles it went away Tell your daughter to hang in there. They hurt and burn really bad. I'm sorry anyone has to go through this.
    • Posted

Hi Karla,

I think shingles would cause lymph nodes to swell. I'm glad to hear she is having a mammogram.

I to had stage 2 breast cancer and went thru surgery chemo radiation etc....I had shingles about 6 times starting about 4 months before diagnosis ... I would take anti viral and STERIODS they would go away then come back as soon as I stopped the medication.

During chemo I had problems and was put on anti viral daily ... I'm good now haven't had outbreak in last 6 months.

Hope all gets better please update on your daughters condition

• Posted

Josi,

I am so sorry for your daughter's suffering and worry re the mass. With Herpes Zoster-Shingles, one can have swollen lymph nodes with the shingles. Lymph nodes are the drainage system for the body, and if the Herpes Zoster-Shingles is feeding into the area where the lymph nodes are, then the lymph nodes would enlarge and become tender. As I have recurrent Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years, I have enlarged and painful lymph nodes in my right neck every episode of Zoster. The questions to ask are:

Did these nodes enlarge suddenly with the onset of the Herpes Zoster-Shingles?

Are the lymph nodes tender or painful?

Is the breast mass mobile or moveable? If the mass is mobile, that is good... When did the breast mass appear?

How large is it?

Is the breast mass tender or painful?

Is there a history of breast cancer in the family?

Although it is rare for a young lady to have breast cancer, it is great she is being evaluated immediately for ASAP. If the breast mass is tender and appears with every menstrual period, it is usually an Estrogen -induced cyst, non-malignant. If the lymph nodes are tender, it is due to the Herpes Zoster-Shingles, the infection, and again, not cancer...

I hope she was started on antivirals immediately for the Herpes Zoster and is receiving excellent analgesics. If not, please help her receive them. Herpes Zoster-Shingles is considered one of the most excruciating conditions of the human body. It sometimes isn't as painful in younger people, but sometimes it is. Some physicians are reluctant to prescribe Opioids to patients, but with Zoster, we actually need them.

If I can help her in any way, please let me know. I am recovering from breast cancer, post partial mastectomy and radiation, but with an excellent prognosis as I am Grade I, Stage I, caught very early.

I understand more than you can ever know.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States.

Please let me know the results of the mammogram. I truly care and will worry about your daughter.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I do not have any lumps, thank God, as I did have breast cancer in 2003.  They did an EKG on me to be sure it was not heart related and I was cleared.  I only have the hurting, jabbing pain on my left shoulder blade around my underarm and into my left breast.  Never have had any blisters or rashes.  Let them do the mammagram, to rule out any problems.

• Posted

Hey,

I know this thread is almost 1 year old, but I have got the same problem.

Had a terrible back ache for about a week, and then finally went to the doctor about the rash which accompanied it, and other symptoms. Shingles, of course.

I'm almost a week into my antibiotics, and the dull pain I had in my chest to begin with has come back. My armpit feels swollen, and I have a lump under my right Breast towards the nipple.

I'm a bit concerned rolleyes

What was the outcome ? X

• Posted

By the way, I only turned 20 in October.
    • Posted

Any breast lum should be mentioned to your doctor. However it's very likely related to your shingles. That's one of the difficult things about this condition, there are so many additional symptoms  

• Posted

Hi! You are so young to have to worry however it is good that you are. I would go to my dr and ask her opinion. She can order the right tests needed to make sure you are ok!

Let us know how you are doing please

• Posted

Thank you for the advice.

I'll go to the doctors tomorrow or Wednesday. Fingers crossed its just inflammation of lymph nodes due to the stress of shingles

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 30 years old and had a red rash on my chest for a few days but didn't think much of it other than perhaps it was an ellergic reaction to something. Then yeaterday I found a hard lump in my armpit and another on my neck so went to the doctor for those. When the doctor asked how I was feeling generally I mentioned the rash and he had a look and realised it was shingles. I have been started on antivirals and although I am being sent to hospital for an ultrasound and mammogram for safety (my mother died of ovarian cancer) I have been told that swollen/lumpy lymph nodes are common with shingles. My lumps are on the left side however and the shingles is on the right.. not sure how common that is! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.