Shingles and No Rash Recurring

Posted , 2 users are following.

Over 1 year ago, I had 2 bouts of shingles (3 months apart) and thought that I was done with it. Just been diagnosed with Shingles again. This time there is a tiny rash where the previous outbreak was (and a lot of pain).

However, I also have a lot of pain on the same side - in a band going from under my arm at the back, round the side and almost round to the front. There is no rash in this area. Can anyone advise if this is normal to have pain without a rash quite which is quite far away from the other pain/rash area?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi friend. Sorry you are dealing with this. Yes, unfortunately what you are describing is very normal for shingles and I wish I could tell you it's good news. But, there is a possibility that these may be "warning shots", telling you the location where your next outbreak will be or this could be PHN Post Herpetic Neuralgia. It's basically residual nerve pain left behind from your shingles outbreaks. Either way, i am hoping you have already begun a regimen of anti-virals, prescribed by your doctor. Getting on these meds ASAP is always your best first move, to decrease your risk of PHN and can help shorten your outbreak time, if caught early enough.

If this is another shingles outbreak, take it easy and be kind to yourself. This will not be something you can simply power through. The more you push yourself, the worse that shingles will push back. Cool compresses can help and plenty of no stress rest next couple of weeks. Have you had either of the Shingles vaccines yet?? Hoping you find relief soon, friend. Take care.

~Rhonda

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply which I've just picked up as I seem to have missed the notification. This is really helpful to know that the non-rash pain in a different place can happen. I do appreciate that this could either be an indication of where the next attack will be, or PHN - neither are particularly appealing! I got the antivirals quickly and this may be why I didn't take time off work this time round (the fatigue wasn't as bad as the first time - long may this continue) but I do take the point about stress and rest. I'm technically too young for the vaccine (49) but I may ask if I could get it anyway due to the recurrences.

I was diagnosed a Coeliac in April and really thought that after 6 months of gluten-free (and therefore a healing gut) that I would be healthier so the recurrence of Shingles was a real disappointment.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Scott.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.