Shingles and Predisone

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi all

i have just being diagnosed with shingles.  First thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck but rash appeared confirming shingles.  I'm wondering if Predisone is the cause of this indirectly as it weakens your immune system making you susceptible to all sorts of illnesses. Has anyone else had shingles?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have just this week come across someone who has a weakened immune system and was hospitalised for a few days with shingles. They do not have PMR. I think we are susceptible. Were you given an anti viral?  I believe this can help ease the pain etc. 
  • Posted

Maria, I also got shingles while I was on prednisone. I suspect you’re correct that these things tend to occur with a week immune system. I got shingles even though I did receive the shingles vaccine. Thankfully it wasn’t too bad a case
  • Posted

Possibly but not necessarily - shingles will happen anyway. Pred is also often used to make the inflammation and pain less in shingles.
  • Posted

Yes I was given antivirals plus a drug called lyrica.  I'm not too bad and after PMR pain this is a walk in the park.😄

• Posted

Yes, internal.. they were horrid.

I was on no prednisone, teaching, and ended up in the hospital for 3 days.

It was only diagnosed when some finally appeared externally.

I could not be around children or expectant moms.

Oh. The pain, it was hard to breathe. They were in the abdomen.

Who knew? The pain lasted at least a month.

I am weary of having rare problems.

Shingles are awful.

MariGrace

• Posted

I read somewhere that one in four people will get shingles. I assume some people get it worse than others, so the chances are quite high. Perhaps some people are not even really aware they have it while others are knocked down by it. 
  • Posted

Your question is related to a question I have - which is whether the PMR makes us more likely to get shingles?

I am struggling with whether to get a shingle shot or not....I'm down to 3 mg of prednisone (and have tolerable symptoms) and worry that the shot may trigger a flare of PMR. On the other hand...wonder if I am more at risk for getting shingles because of my PMR. 

• Posted

I don't think shingles is more likely to develop because of PMR. However - PMR is listed as a possible adverse event with the Zostavax vaccine. So is shingles...

And the Shingrix vaccine hasn't been tested in patients with an autoimmune disorder and there is some concern that it stimulates the immune system so strongly it may make the a/i disorder worse.

• Posted

I know answers here will be anecdotal... but wondering if patients here have had the shot after their PMR diagnosis. Also curious as to what doctors in the UK have recommended to the UK posters on this forum re getting the vaccine. 
    • Posted

Most of them are oblivious of potential side effects. My comments are based on the manufacturer's info.

I think there are some people on the other forum who have had the jab - whether there are are on this forum I don't know.

• Posted

I got shingles before being diagnosed with PMR and before steroid treatment. I would guess the shingles was due to a weakened immune system, not from the prednisone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.