Shingles are a B.....d

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have had shingles pain for eight weeks now and this evening it has got worse and though the area i had it was on my left shoulder and under my arm and round to the breast I feel itchy down the left side of my head and ear area.

My question is can it re-occur so quick?

Many Thanks Again Heather

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Heather,

It certainly can and does! I am so sorry it has reoccurred so quickly. Sometimes the pain and rash reoccurs in the site over and over again (like me) and in others in travels to other sites. In any case, you need to restart the antiviral, probably for a 10 day course. I would strongly recommend Famciclovir 500mg 3x daily rather than Acyclovir as Acyclovir is the oldest drug with five times daily dosing and is the least efficacious of the three. Valcyclovir is based on the chemical structure of Acyclovir.

I used to get Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every two weeks during times of high stress.

One of the tips to follow is the high Lysine low Arginine diet. I follow this diet and it truly has helped decrease the severity of pain and frequency of episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles. I am not a health food fanatic, but follow the Mediterranean diet, low cholesterol low fat diet, high Lysine low Arginine diet.

It takes a while for your body to rid itself of Arginine triggers.

You also need to rest and sleep, and sleep some more.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am already on a low fat diet as I am trying to lose weight (35 pounds in 4 months) at the moment.

I need to work as I have anxiety and depression and sitting about in the house tends to make me over think things thus making me more stressed and we need the money as well to be quite honest with you.

I am not itchy this morning so hopefully it has just been a reaction to something, although the pain never ceases.

Many Thanks for replying, Heather x

• Posted

Hi Heather,

My after shingles pain is in the same place as yours. I have had PHN for eight months. The pain never goes completely away but there are a lot of ways I have found to make the pain less. You mention working. I discovered that the more I stay active and involved in life, the better I feel. Going back to work helped me stop focussing on my pain. Anxiety and stress are the worst things for shingles and nerve pain so try to find ways to ease your stress. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me.

My problem is that when I work even though I'm not using that side of my body it really hurts, when I rest it eased slightly but I have to work or I'll lose my job and I don't get paid if I'm off.

The other thing is that I have depression and anxiety all the time so obviously I'm stressed quite a lot so it's a vicious cycle .

Hopefully it will get better soon.......Heather x

• Posted

Heather,

You're not alone. Since getting shingles and then the nerve pain, I have had a lot of anxiety and nervousness.

But, changing my diet and eating more healthy foods, getting a lot of sleep, practicing meditation and stress reducing relaxations techniques, going to a psychologist for talk therapy, moderate exercise and socializing a bit all have helped me. The battle to get our health back while living with shingles and nerve pain is an ongoing struggle. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.