Shingles are back

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my first shot of Shingrex in December. My second shot is due mid February. And I just broke out in shingles. I am so worried that the shot didnt work! Anyone else have this? I get shingles a few times a year on my leg with pain in my sciatic nerve a few days before the rash. I had the pain this weekend and woke up today with a new batch of blisters on my leg! Please give me some hope that the second shot will do the trick!

Thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I hope you got the antivirals! If you didn't get to a doctor or clinic now!! My husband has had 5 bouts with shingles (I had one 3 years ago, and now PHN) but the antivirals stopped it every time. He too had his first Shingrix in December, due in February, but one week ago, he mentioned a rash that had started 3 days before. We got him in immediately, but he also had a bottle of anti-virals from our doc, just in case, so he took one. We knew we were getting close to the 72 hour window. His rash progressed only a tiny amount, and now a week later, he's been itch free for a few days, no pain, no other advancement.

He was told to get his second shot when this shingles is all cleared up. This vaccine does NOT cause shingles, it's inactive, but it's a good reminder to get that second shot as soon as your doctor recommended. it. Do you have antivirals on hand? It's a good idea if you have recurrent shingles, some even take a low dose daily. His was so sporadic, over years that he doesn't do it that way, but we were sure glad we had them on hand.

• Posted

We thought that the rash he saw on Saturday and then the one that looked full blown Tuesday AM (it was very inconclusive at 11:00 the night before) meant he was too late with the Valtrex. It did work and the doctor also felt having the first shot may decrease the symptoms of this case. It may have, he had the itching, slightly crummy feeling, but never got too bad. His last dose of Valtrex was last night and he's doing very well.

• Posted

Stacey,

Regarding the Shingrix, I can tell you the experience I have had as a recurring Shingles patient. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear, mouth, and throat, and more recently right scalp for the past 23-3/4 years every three weeks. I had the Shingrix vaccine one year ago. After the first injection, three weeks later, I had a severe episode of severe Herpes Zoster-Shingles. After the second injection, my episodes recur, but are much less severe and less protracted.

I was often incapacitated with pain before the two Shingrix injections.

For those of us who have the scourge of recurring shingles, Shingrix will definitely attenuate the disease. It is a life changer. You may know you have shingles, but you won't be suffering with it. It has been a life changer.

Best Wishes to you.

Please let me know how Shingrix works for you.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you! There is still hope then! I guess I was hoping for a miracle cure and I was so bummed to have an outbreak after the first shot. My second shot is due mid February. I will post an update after that.

• Posted

Hi again Merry. After researching the Shingrix and seeing it was inactive I believed that there was no connection between him getting the shingles and getting the vaccine. Now I'm starting to wonder! I've read other places of people who previously got shingles, and then got it after their first shot.

• Posted

Babs,

l doubt it. The vaccine is a killed vaccine. Any vaccine stresses the body and immune system. There are people who keep getting recurrent episodes of Shingles. People seem to be helped after the second dose, but are not able to completely rid themselves of the Herpes virus. There are multifactorial issues within one's own body. If you already had recurrent Shingles, Shingrix might eradicate it, but will probably attenuate it for most.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes, I have some. Ive taken the antivirals many times with limited success. Honestly, I dont taken them anymore because every time I do I get another outbreak a couple days after taking my last pill. My doctor has suggested the one daily but I havent tried it and Im hoping I wont have to.

• Posted

Thanks Merry, my next thought was that the vaccine was just an added stresser. In the past, it was obvious he and we were dealing with a lot of stress (death in the family etc.) this time there was nothing we could point to.

• Posted

Stacey that sucks! Sorry no other way to say it. He's been lucky that they worked well for me. He has the generic version 1 gram (those are BIG) 3 times a day for 7 days. We're glad they work for him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.