Shingles are no fun

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started out by noticing sharp pain in my left temple. But did not think anything about i, as I was on vacation and was having fun. When I left to go home on the 13 of June still having the sharp pain in my temple but still did not think it was anything but a headache since I get migraines, well when I got home I of course went to bed but did not notice anything around where the pain was at, well the next morning I woke up and my husband said what is wrong with your face? I said what I went in to check and my whole left side of my face was red all around my eye on my left side of lip inside my left side of mouth was swollen too.  Well I went directly to ER and they said you have Shingles dear but since it is so close to your eye we need to let a Opthomologist see you to make sure it is not in your eye.  So they put me on a regimen of Acyclovir 800 mg 5 times day for 10 days and also Lyrica 4 times a day and Prednisolone ophthalmic supension (eye drops) 1 drop in left eye 4 times daily.  Went back to Primary Physician and he said yes you are doing good and he noticed no vecicals, and now going on 29 days of meds still have not had one eruption of any vecicals . But the pain is horrific and I asked my Dr am I contagious he said no as long as no oozing vecicals. This has caused me to lose 3 friends at church because they were afraid I would give it to them I tried to explain but to no avail.  Now what do I do.  

Signed Still no vecicals and pain galore and no friends. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Snorkie, Sorry to rear of your pain. I got Shingles about 10 month ago and on my lefe side on my forhead, scalp, and around my eye. never have I felt pain like that. I problem is I was one of the unlucky one's that got nearve pain after and I still have it and I'm on gabapentin but not sure it's working yet. I don't feel like doing or going anywere. I've been to every kind of doctor I could think of for the pain and and they have helped some. Make sure you get the Vaccine as soon as the outbreak is over. They say that you can still get it but the pain you get at first is not as severe. If yopu ncan do anything your doing good. Support is a big factor and if you get depressed they will give you something for it. I herd over oand over Not to try to power through it. Good luck 

• Posted

Tough going but you'll make it through this.  Sounds like the ER pointed you in the right direction straight away (not always the case).  Good looking out for your eye!  Some people get are treated for their lingering pain and  nerve issues (postherpetic neuralgia).  You might talk to your GP about htis.  I just dealt with mine and it took about 6 weeks to subside. 

• Posted

Dear Snorkie,

First, I am so sorry you are going through this disease. I know the agonizing pain that is shingles. I am glad that it has not affected your eye.

As your pain is still horrible, I would ask your physician for a stronger analgesic such as Oxycodone. If the pain isn't controlled by the end of the first month, you run a greater risk of developing Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN. It is also their duty to relieve pain and suffering. Shingles is considered to be one of the most painful afflictions known to mankind.

Another remedy individuals use is ice wrapped in a cloth or cpol compresses over the site for 20 minutes at a time. Never use heat.

Some people find Solarcaine with aloe helpful as it contains Lidocaine to numb the nerve endings. Be careful around the eye area, obviously.

Has the redness and swelling around your eye resolved at all?

Is the friendship situation a permanent loss, or resolveable? People do funny things based on fear. While I am not a fair weather friend, I would dislike losing 3 friends over their ignorance and fear.

With Herpes Zoster Shingles, you certainly have experienced accompanying symptoms such as headache, malaise, exhaustion and fatigue. You need to rest and sleep, and let your body heal.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years and twice in my eye. My first episode was undiagnosed for 3-1/2 weeks with excruciating pain until the fourth physician finally diagnosed it. It was far worse than any migraine, and that is saying something.

Please let me know how else I can help you. We are here to support you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Snorkel,

Correction on first post

"Cold Compresses"

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.