Shingles at 21 years old???

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey guys-

So I recently was diagnosed with shingles. I only had one small outbreak on the left side of my body. (A cluster of 5). The doctor told me I caught it early, which was good. I was perscribed Valtrex for 7 days and just finished my last dose today. My outbreak on my left side is diminishing but tonight I noticed the rug burned-sun burn feeling on my right bicep. I'm so confused...is this another outbreak forming?? My other outbreak cleared up very fast and appeared to be a very mild case. I did go through a stressful event the past two days during my treatment and I believe a stressful event caused the shingles in the first place. Is it possible that another outbreak is forming just as the others are completely going away? I thought it was gone forsure. What should I do? I'm 21 years old and haven't had any serious health problems. I'm very confused and worried to why this is all happening to me sad answers would be great

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kristin. Anyone who's had chickenpox can get a shingles attack. It's caused by the same virus, Varicella Zoster. Do you have any auto immune disease? You're more likely to get recurrent bouts if so. You should go back to your GP as soon as poss if the rash comes back but it's possible to get shingles without the rash in some cases. I believe I did. I had a rash and pain on right upper arm/shoulder first. Got Aciclovir from doc for seven days  then a few days later more spots and pain on lower left scalp. A week or so later more pain but no rash on left arm/shoulder area. I'm not an expert and neither are some of the GP's apparently! Checkout the shingles forum on here for more info and advice. "Merry" from across the pond, (US) knows quite a lot about it. You can also get PHN, (post herpetic neuralgia),  in the area of the rash for some time after. Best wishes, Ellie X confused
  • Posted

Hi Kristen,

I am glad you saw your physician immediately and were treated for the Herpes virus. I have a few questions for you.

Has the rash on the right biceps formed vesicles-blisters like the rash on the left side?

Have you had chickenpox? Did you receive the varicella vaccine for chickenpox as you are in the age group in which it was available.

Did the vesicles-blisters on the left side appear all at once, look almost identical in appearance and size and shape, and blister over at the same time. Or did the vesicles-blisters appear in crops, look different in size and shape, and blister at different times?

Did you scratch open the vesicles-blisters on the left side?

Are you immunocompromised with autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Psoriasis, Sjögrens Syndrome, ITP, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS. Do you have cancer or are taking corticosteroids?

Did you experience joint or muscle aches, headache, chills, low grade fever, prior to the rash? This is the predromal phase of Herpes Zoster in which you feel like you are getting the flu.

I am an NP who lives across the pond and have experienced Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years.

Usually, Herpes Zoster only appears on the right side of the body or the left side of the body, hence, my questions.

• Posted

Merry,

I had a bad case of chicken pox as a child. I have no diseases of cancers of my knowledge, I got blood work done about a month ago and everything was normal. The rash on my right bicep has no formed but has a sun burned rug burn kind of feel like the other one did. Prior to my first outbreak, I. Did not feel these symptoms of flu like feelings. I just felt the rug burn feeling on my side and then noticed the rash later that night. The symptoms were mild and I did my best not to scratch the cluster. I thought it was completely gone and the rash on my left side did not spread, so I am concerned to why I am getting this feeling of rash on my right bicep. The rash on my left side seemed to blister over and diminish all around the same time

• Posted

Hi Kristen,

The reason I am asking is Herpes Zoster only occurs on one side of the body, the right side, or the left side, but never both, unless you are exceptionally ill with dissemination of the Herpes Zoster virus and close to dying. This is not the case with you. Also, when you have Herpes Zoster, the vesicles-blisters appear in crops or waves, not all at once, and are different sizes, not uniform in appearance. Where was the first rash specifically, if I may ask?

If the rash was close to the mouth or private area, it could very well be Herpes Simplex which crosses the midline, the vesicles-blisters appear similar in appearance, arrive all together and leave at the same time. They can be spread by scratching the rash and touching another area.

I think you should see your physician tomorrow before the weekend, even if the rash does not appear on the right biceps.

I hope you feel better.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

My 17 year old sister has shingles on her body on her right side.

So I was checking on the internet and apparently you can get shingles if you are HIV positive :-(.

Please help ??

• Posted

Hi Nonhlanhla!

I believe what some sites on the internet might be saying is: younger individuals are at a less risk of getting Shingles. 17 year olds do get Shingles, however. What would put them at a higher risk for AIDs/HIV is IV drug use and no use of protection for sexual intercourse every time.

You can get Shingles if you have autoimmune diseases, Irritable Bowel Disease, take corticosteroids, have cancer, and for many other reasons including a low Vitamin D level, and stress, lack of sleep. Some children get Shingles at age 2 or 7 for no apparent reason.

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Oh I do hope not,, I imagine the medication you were on should've,e prevented another occurance so soon, but best to get it checked out with your doctor, I thought shingles only happened to older people, but there you go. Hope you get sorted And let us know how you get on Take care ah.

• Posted

Dear Kristin; 

I started with Shingles, at the age of 20. I am now 55. I am going to send you a private message.

1Roswell

• Posted

I'm 21 and looking for some information. 

• Posted

Hey, I know this post is old but I'm getting like a small cluster of red itchy dots too and then they blister up later..

I just wanna know if it IS actually shingles

And also if there's a permanent treatment because my doctors won't give me a vaccine because I'm only 27.

• Posted

I just noticed this post now, so I'll add my personal experiences. This is the same thing that happened to me. I had a lot of chest and back pain for one night, some back discomfort for about 6 days, but thought it was a pulled muscle. It wasn't until 10 days later we noticed a VERY slight rash which didn't even look like vessicles on my back. By then the pain had been gone for days. I saw the doctor and neither of us thought it was shingles as I now felt fine.  10 days after that I developed classic vessicles on the under side of my breast and also had been having increasing pain. This time I was diagnosed with shingles. In neither case was I given the anti-viral as it was too late, in the doctor's opinions. I didn't see the doctor the 2nd time until 5 days after I noticed the rash on my front, as the pain kept getting worse and I realized I needed treatment for that. 6 weeks later I'm still on 2400 mg of Gabapentin, lidocaine pain cream, a prescription NSAID (which I've been on for years) and Extra Strength Tyelenol.

Anyone else have a similar double outbreak?

• Posted

I know this was posted awhile ago and Im sure people have forgotten about this. But heres what I want to find out. Anyone within the 20s range have parents who served in vietnam or the korean gulf war? Now I'll tell you why I ask. For one my father served and I was born with birth defects. Not spinal bifia if you have that file a case. They are helping some dependants but not rhe rest of us. I have an auto immune disorder. I was born with more then 44 diseases or disrders and shingles being one of them. I get shingles not once a year but more like every other month depending on my immune system and if Im exposed to sick people. I habe shingles on my ankle and right back flank. I know Im about ready to get it again because my left leg where I get it is hurting. Like as if I sprained it and slight numb. Mostly due to stress. I am just looking to find out if anyone else has these issues.

• Posted

Brandy,

My mother was a registered nurse (US ARMY NURSE) and my father was a US ARMY MEDICAL CORPS physician during WWII. They were in the Ardenne (Battle of the Bulge) and the Rhineland Campaigns.

There were bombs falling around the hospital train as they transported the wounded and dying from the battlefields to the hospital.

My mother had Rheumatoid arthritis and Sjogrens Syndrome.

My identical twin and I have SLE, Sjogrens Syndrome, Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriasis, ITP, plus cardiac arrhythmias age 20, HTN at age 20, breast cancer, strokes, miscarriages and stillbirths, etc etc etc. I have had three neurosurgeries.

I get Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years and twice in my eye.

That being said I live life to the fullest and have always worked at rehabilitation (Physical therapy) etc to maximize my functioning. I am extremely independent. I remain optimistic about my potential in life. I research carefully the physicians and nurse practitioners , the treatment options and management for my specific diseases. I am 65 years old.

I am sorry I am not of your era to help you specifically.

As my sister Susy, who is 13 months older, has stated over & over, I am so sorry you got stuck with all the bad diseases in the family.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Oh no reading this makes me very sad, I'm 24 and a Mom to 2 kids, today I was diagnosed with shingles, so is this something that I will continue to get? I need tips on how to handle this. It started on my left arm I thought I had poison ivy BC I was in the wood a couple days earlier, but now I'm starting to get them on my hand, its tingling and hurting and I'm starting to see my skin turn red, I'm very scared for my boys how do I protect them? Would the medicine they gave me still work? The first sign of them was one week ago but they are still popping up I can feel it ): at first they didn't hurt or itch or nothing I was so confused but now its hard to even use my left hand and my whole arm is starting to feel bruised and hurt fairly bad, ahhhh

• Posted

I also forgot to add, I have no known cancers or anything like that, I'm a fairly healthy person and none of my family was in the wars that I know of.. Does everyone get reaccuring shingled?

• Posted

Hi Leah, I'm sorry that you're now part of our "club". Some quick answers, not everyone gets recurring shingles. It's not common, but can happen. My hubby just got his 4th case, but many people only get it once. The other info was really in response to a very specific issue. If there are underlying health issues, you may be more likely to get shingles. However, many of us were very active, healthy people when we got ours. You may know that if you ever had chicken pox, the virus is in your body and may or may not eventually come back as shingles. Stress is often involved as an underlying cause, which adds insult to injury, doesn't it?

What medicine were you given? Was it an anti-viral like Valtrex? If so, it should still help if you are still taking it. Even on the meds, the rash may spread and worsen a bit, but the hope is it will greatly lesson the symptoms. If you can try to avoid using the arm. Yes, I know that sounds nearly impossible, but at least lessen its use if you can. Rest is important which I realize is also hard when you're a Mom. You can't give your kids shingles. If they've never had chicken pox and they touch the vessicles (rash) they may get chicken pox.

For pain, doctors may offer a drug such as Neurontin or Lyrica. They can have miserable side effects, but can help. However, it may take a while for it to work. However, you CAN take acetaminophen  (Tylenol) and cool clothes may help also. It could be a few weeks until you're back to normal, sorry. Talk to your doctor for more information, but also keep reading other posts for tips on how others deal with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.