Shingles at 44 years old

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was in pain for a week before a diagnosis. Pain in my left flank and it comes in waves. First diagnosis from urgent care is kidney stones, then emergency room did a CT scan everything lookd good so diagnosis pulled muscle. I was given a flexiril for muscle spasm, hate the medicine the effect on me is like a hang over. Still no relief. Saturday a small rash in my left flank then more on Sunday burning, sensitive and painful. Monday i took another chance, the doctor saw me read all the visit history and she came up with sciatica diagnosis. Then I said I don't think I have that then I said can you check the rash on my left side? Then she said ok let see, then she pause....and said I'm sorry for diagnosing you without looking or touching the complaint area. You actually have shingles, but too young to have it. So she prescribed valtrex, neurontin and hydrocodone. I'm on my 6th day and still burning, sensitive and painful. I did not come in to my office, but did the work at home. Fatigue, burning sensation, pain and depressing. I will update my post for any changes right now my rash looks like small pimples.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Once again, the medical profession strikes out with their lack of knowledge about shingles. Sorry you have had to endure so much. Like all of us on this site, we understand what you are going through. One important fact to remember is that everyone reacts differently to the disease, although there are some symptoms that seem common among all of us. Try to sleep and avoid stress. Don't lose hope that you will recover. It may take many months but you might one day feel almost normal again. Good luck! 

• Posted

Trying to diagnose you without even looking at your complaint area is almost malpractice, in my opinion!  Obviously you didn't get the anti virals within the 72 hour window so they won't help much now.  A friend said blue emu cream helped him a lot when he had shingles.  You must get as much rest as possible.  Shingles saps your energy and gets a lot worse if you try to power through.  

• Posted

Hello Michelle,

I used this recipe and it helped a lot in speeding up the healing. I use it on the rash and on all my body to avoid any contamination from my blistters.

Recipe I have tried this and has worked great!

In 30 ml oil (Coconut, olive or almond), add

8 drops of teat tree oil

6 drops of lavender oil

Few drops of Eucalyptus oil

You can check this website

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.