Shingles Diagnosis, now everything hurts

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles 4 weeks ago, on my torso, I was given two weeks of a pill I took several times a day and given pain pills. I never had the burning pain that I read others get but it was mostly general pain and itching. I did get blisters but they have mostly gone away now, although pock marks still remain. I am not certain if all these other pains are related or not. I am 62 and in real good health, I exercise regularly and watch what I eat. But I feel paid in my lower back on my right side, and in my stomach is in a lot of pain, I thought maybe I had an ulcer or it was acid re-flux, and for the past two days my shoulders have hurt a lot, I can hardly raise my arms above my head. Is all this related? If so, is this normal? I am lethargic, weak, and getting a bit depressed over this whole thing. Any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

At 4 weeks you could still be having some shingles pain, rather than PHN, but you may also have some PHN. It would only be in the area you had the shingles, it does not “spread.”  Try some Aspercreme and see if that helps a little. Then try a lidocaine gel of some kind. Both available in the pharmacy without prescription. A lot of managing PHN is finding out what works and what doesn’t. This might be a long road for you, if you have some PHN, so watch the depression. Letting it continue can worsen your symptoms, and affect quality of life. If it continues at a significant level, see a therapist, preferably one who specializes in cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). They really can help a lot. 

Sorry you are having this pain, David. But, I hope we can help you out some. 

• Posted

Hey david. So sorry to hear u came down with this. Yes i went thru the same hell. My organs felt aweful. The whole thing sounds all to familiar. It took me six months to learn what it was which is post herpetic neuralgia. I have had this once before in my neck and down my arm.  Took a few years to minimize to where it was slightly felt. Ten years on i can feel it but its nowhwre near what it was. Its been almost two years since i got the dreaded belt around my waist feel. Thank god its getting less but still gets me at times.  My advice is to not let it stop u unless u literally cant move which is where i was at for the first little bit. Done lots of research And gabapentin seems like what doctors keep throwing at it. I am too scared to go on those so i havnt taken anything. I found that as soon as i accepted it and dint fight the idea which lead to heavy depression my symptoms alleviated sum. It seems high stress gets us here with this issue then destressing can help out.  It really is a time thing and it does ease up in time. It last s differently for everyone which can be discouraging but stay strong in knowing that you will feel better. I wish you the best on your recovery and keep us all posted on your progress and how u decide to tackle yours. One thing for me is to not overeat cause my stomach was affected and digestion too. If yours is like that that might help. Do explain your areas that got effected.   I literally only had three little bumps on my lower back by buttocks and then a whole world of pain ensued shortyly after. I did go on the acyclovir too to avoid all this but dunno if that helped. Stay strong friend

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.