Shingles facial pain help

Posted , 5 users are following.

A week ago I was constantly vominiting did not feel well at all. By Monday at 6am I woke up with a banging headache and pain down one side of my face by Wednesday I still had not slept from the pain and over the counter meds aren't working so I went to my Drs and saw a dr I don't normally see. She was a new F1 (not that I had a problem with that) she said it was a facial muscular migraine. 6 hours later I rang 111 and spoken to the out of hours people on the phone who tried to send out an ambulence. I turned it down and took myself up. It was not a migraine at all i have shingles.

I have aciclovir and Amitriptyline and the pain is not going at all I could cry with the pain. It was caught early and I only have a few spots on my face. It now blisters. Does anyone know what I can do for the pain. My gums are now red and sore and my whole face is sensitive to touch

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My shingles is on my hand and arm, so my symptoms were not like yours. I have been taking Lyrica for the pain.  It doesn't go away entirely but I can now sleep.  I took an anti-viral for a week or two but since mine wasn't diagnosed within 72 hours of onset, that probably didn't help much.  I had gotten a shingles shot several years ago and was told that I should have a mild case.  Maybe so, but it was quite painful for several weeks and now, nearly three months later, I still have some pain on my hand and thumb.  

• Posted

Aww I don't know exactly how far into it they caught it I'm only just getting spots and a raised rash on my face today but the pain in my gums, teeth and the whole side of my face is in agony no painkiller is touching it. Normally the tablets have knocked me out by now but the pains that sharp I can't settle

• Posted

I think you need the antiviral tabs within 72 hours of rash developing. Sounds like you did but that will not prevent the pain. Have you any pain relief apart from Amitriptylene? If you've got any codeine, ie co codamol, plus paracetamol, take both but not at the same time. Alternate them. On Monday you should call a doctor and tell them what you're suffering and ask for stronger pain killers. Amitriptylene on it's own is not enough. If you can get to a pharmacy tomorrow, Sun, ask the pharmacist for advice, they're usually helpful. Hope this helps. Best wishes, x rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you for a reply. The pain is horrendous it's keeping me awake. I have both cocodemol and migralieve and I have tried both paracetamol and ibuprofen and nothing is numbing the pain. I have tried orajel on my gums but that's not working either. Just want to sleep but the pain won't let me and I've tried applying heat too but that's not helping 😩 I'll ask a chemist in the morning as I cannot wait until Monday worst pain I have felt x

• Posted

Neurontin or Gabapentin (the generic) or Lyrica is often prescribed. I'm in the US and it seems you're in the UK so I'm not sure the drugs have the same name. The anti-virals will help prevent the virus from replicating, but I do wonder if you were beyond the 72 hour range, I hope not. The drugs I mentioned above may take a few days to give you much relief, but sadly, the first few days are very, very difficult. I'm three months into my back/chest shingles but I remember well the terrible pain of the first few days.

I'll be honest, there were nights all I could was pace and cry, but I told myself, I got through that minute, then the next, then the next. Sometimes showers can distract or give relief. I also use extra-strength Tylenol, an anti-inflammatory and lidocain pain cream. Combined, they helped a bit. If you get the Gabapentin or some other correct drug, the pain will be a bit better in a few days, but it is a long road. Keep us posted, good luck!

• Posted

I have gabapentin for sciatic nerve pain that doesn't touch it. Last week I was vomiting a lot this week it was just constant migraine and I wasn't seen until late Wednesday night so o could have had it longer than 72 hours I'm not sure. I have called our emergency doctor to prescribe me something strong. I should get a call back in the next hour. I couldn't cope any longer with the pain. I also tried tramadol don't know if you have that it the US. I could try with the pain I don't k ow of it is in my mouth too as my gums are really painfully red and sore too

• Posted

I was thinkining of my comment about the Lidocaine cream, I'm sure you knew I didn't meant to take it by mouth, it's just for external use. Yes, the vomitting or nausea can be a sign of shingles too. It's a very complicated, varied disease, aren't we lucky??! Who knew. Yes, we have tramadol, but have never used it. If you do get some narcotic meds, make sure you let the doctor know what else you're using so there's not bad interaction.

Oh dear, I just realized, if you're in the UK, it's the middle of the night...that's why I started typing 3 months ago and joined the group. That time is awful, but morning will come and there will be some stretches when you're not quite as bad. I have no suggestions for the mouth pain, maybe others will. If you can, try and get some type of sleep, maybe sitting up?? Sleep will help.

• Posted

Amy,

First, I am so sorry for your suffering. The pain is excruciating, especially pain in your head.

I would ask your physician for Opioids, as that is the only medication that will alleviate the acute pain. Doctors are reluctant to prescribe them now due to people's overdoses, but I would be assertive regarding this. I know how much pain you have.

It is a physician's duty to alleviate suffering. The other drugs, gabapentin-Neurontin, Lyrica-pregabalin, amitryptylline, help reduce the neuropathic pain, but does not help with the acute phase of Herpes Zoster-Shingles. Also, all those drugs need to be titrated up in dosage by a skilled physician ie neurologist or pain management physician. Often, they are used in combination with other drugs FOR CHRONIC PAIN lasting one month or more including Cymbalta and Venlafaxine.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

Please keep me posted.

Please see a clinician immediately re your agonizing pain. If it is not controlled, you increase the risk of Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN. (Another argument for the physician .)

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I have booked an appointment with my doctor tomorrow evening so hopefully she will prescribe me something strong as the hospital only gave me tramadol and that's not working.

I am currently under a neurologist I tried to call them on Friday to book an appointment but there nearest appointment is in August. I have been different with migraines for s few months so this isn't helping.

Fingers crossed they give me something strong but I don't think she will as I suffer with Bowel problems and she will probably say medications will have an effect on my bowels and she will probably tell me to ride the pain out

• Posted

Amy,

Ask her if she is aware of her duty as a physician to relieve suffering. Ask her if she is aware that shingles is rated as one of the most painful conditions of mankind. Ask her if she wishes that you get Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN as she did not help control the acute pain in the first month.

Will private message to you...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Amy,

Another option that is not contraindicated unless you have allergies or a history of seizures is to use

Lidocaine or Benzocaine Cream of the highest percentage available on the painfull areas. Please ask the pharmacist. They are available OTC. Do not use gel formulations as they contain alcohol and will burn like crazy...

I find if I treat using different modalities like topical, anticonvulsant-Topamax, for me is daily drug with no side effects, and ear drops with Benzocaine, and Opioid of 2- 3 days for severe episodes plus Famvir. And sleep and rest....of course.

I hope you have family and friends who are supportive...that makes all the difference.

Again,

All my Best,

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.