Shingles for 6 months

Posted , 9 users are following.

I got the shingles in January and it went away after 3 weeks. However, the neuropathy pain is still lingering. My left breast is double in size of the righty and I have a lump under my armpit, which has now been 6 months. I have been on amitriptaline, gabapentin, norcos, Percocet 5, Tylenol with codeine and nothing seems to take the pain away. I have had a mammogram and ultrasound and thank God they are normal. I've been to emergency room 6 times, gynecologist 3 times and family doctor 8 times and no one knows the cause or what to do? Any suggestions, as the pain is unbearable?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Deborah, your condition sould alot worse than mine! I have no idea what you should do, but I will put you on my prayer list and start actively praying for God to heal you! Thanks for your response.
  • Posted

Oh deborah, its awful, i had shingles 10 months ago, i can honestly say i have nexer felt painlike it. I too was left with terrible nerve pain as well as being numb on half my back right round my left side and most of my left breast. Yeah, i too have swelling and a lump that seems to dissapear at times!! I have been on gabapentin since last august and i would say that the pain is not as bad as it used to be. Have been able to reduce the strength and hopefully come off them all together. I know i still will have pain but hopefully will be managable. Having problems coming off the tablets but keep telling myself that they wont last.

I hope so much that your pain subsides enough for you to function in daily life, i. Now at the stage where i just live with it although youd think in this day and age something would help. I know what you are going through, i couldnt even wear a bra!!!!

Sorry this post has been so long, and i dont suppose it helps you in any way but i wanted you to know that we are all going through this one way or another and it just help to vent your frustration that nothing seems to be getting done. Oh, and i stopped the 30/500 co-codamol around november as it wasnt helping and i was so sick of taking tablets.

Good luck in your journey to better health....... margaret x

• Posted

Dear Deborah, I'm so sorry to hear about your suffering pain, I'm in the same situation, the pain don't go away at all, almost 24 -7, though don't be disheartened, there's every chance that the pain may ease away with time, I have read that the damaged Nerve canal can take up to 2 years to heal, "unfortunately I have also read that sometimes don't heal completely" I'm so sorry, I don't know what else I can say to you, just stay strong, hope, and let's all here on this site" support and solace one another. Known that you aren't alone in this terrible illness does help.

Best wishes

• Posted

I have the same thing only in my forehead, scalp and behind my eye and eyebrow. 9 month now. Went through the same with the doctors plus I went to a doctor for infectious diseases. I can't even any shampoo that they make for it. You would think they would have more studies on it. Well good luck sorry I couldn't help

• Posted

I have the same thing only in my forehead, scalp and behind my eye and eyebrow. 9 month now. Went through the same with the doctors plus I went to a doctor for infectious diseases. I can't even any shampoo that they make for it. You would think they would have more studies on it. Well good luck sorry I couldn't help

• Posted

I had shingles in my eye, on forehead and head 16 months ago and still get itching around the eye and eyelid every day, I think some people have it forever, but I am hoping  it will get better in time, Do you have to have check ups at the eye clinic? The pain was excruciating just before I got shingles then again once I had it, until I was given stronger painkillers,
  • Posted

Hi deborah,

I send you my warm regards with hopes your pain and suffering lessens. I know exactly what you are going through. No one who has not had shingles understands what the constant pain is like. That's why it's so nice to have this forum to vent and to get support from shingers sufferers. 

What helps me with the nerve pain is getting a lot of sleep, also eating a healthy diet but most of all trying to relax and not let stress and anxiety overtake my life. 

I can't take prescription pills and I don't really want to take them because many of the strong drugs cause bad side effects and over time negatively affect the body and weaken it so that the immune system actually doesn't improve. Plus, a lot of the meds are addtictive which is also counter productive to healing the body. I try to use meditation to relax and I go to a counselor for talk therapy which really helps. I try to exercise moderately. It has taken me months to have any energy at all. But, slowly, I am getting my strength back. I am beginning to live my life a bit more normally. Socializing with friends is also important because it takes my mind off the pain. I use gel ice packs, Cera Ve cream, aloe vera gel and Aspercream with lidocaine for pain, too.

My pain seems to be very slowly getting a bit better. 

Most of my friends who developed nerve pain said that their pain gradually lessened. 

• Posted

Typo--I meant "shingles sufferers." 

• Posted

Thanks Tiffany. I am glad to know someone understands. I also had an aneurysm and had aortic dissection repair. Some doctors feel that is part of it. But I am leaving right now to get that aloe Vera gel. I have lidocaine patches and they do not work.
    • Posted

deborah, 

Please know that everyone has different reactions to shingles and the pain so what works for one person to lessen their discomfort may not work for someone else. Also, I know it's difficult, but try not to focus too much on drugs, pills or doctors to help you. In the end, healing from this illness has a lot to do with yourself. There is no magic cure for the after pain of shingles but the more you try alternative ways to feel better, the happier you will be. Life style has a lot to do with how the body reacts to pain. 

Also, for me, aloe vera gel works much better for me if I mix it with Cera Ve anti itch cream. The two together ease my pain and discomfort. 

• Posted

Gynecologist? he doesn't deal in matters to do with the breasts, why would you go to one 3 times for your  problem?

• Posted

I too have suffered with lingering pain and reoccurring shingles. I am currently on my fourth outbreak in two years. They are never as severe as the first, (which is typical). Now I get a patch size outbreak only above my tailbone, however it is

the internal nerve pain that can be debilitatiing. I too have tried my best to have a healthy diet, exercise and I really try to reduce my stress. However this past week my jeep was broken into, and within a few days my current outbreak. I find that Tramadol helps with pain, and Trazadone with sleep. I tried other medications, but these work for me. I also drink lots of water and add immune system drops and take Lysine. I hope this information helps you. It is a total drag to keep suffering, but it helps to discuss our issues with others and sometimes get new ideas. Good luck with  your pain and I hope you get relief soon.

• Posted

Hi Gayleen, I too have had this pain from post shingles for the last 8 month. I have pain on my scalp, my temple, and my eyebrow. mothing seems to work and I think I've tried just about everything. I was looking for a study for myselp but I can't find any. It seems like i go through bad days and then somewhat better days. i even went to a doctor for infectoious diseases. He told me about 4 month ago that I didn't have shingles anymore so he gave me the  Shingles Vaccine  and I have not got any sores anymore but I still get the pain. now it seems to be affecting my left eye but the eye doctor said it wasn't in my eye and he has beed treating the eye. I couldn't even find a shampoo that would help numb it some. meanwhile i keep looking on here hoping someone can give me a clue how to treat this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.