Shingles for months

Posted , 11 users are following.

hello..

I feel like I must be desperate if I'm looking online but I need to hear someone else has gone through this because nothing I read says it's like this.

I got diagnosed with shingles the day after Thanksgiving. I took two ten day rounds of Valtrex because my MD said it was trying to reactivate after the first round. It was on my face, in my eye and my scalp. The rash was gone within a week but here I am in February, still not feeling well. I feel so tired, I've had a sore throat the entire time, just a general feeling of being unwell. I have gone back to my MD twice and he keeps saying it just takes time. all of my labs are normal except low vitamin D. I don't know what else to do and feel like this has been way too long and I just want to feel well. I'm not a complainer and just keep pushing through but this has gone on so long..

any suggestions, or anyone deal with this? Thank you!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like you have post herpatic neuralgia from your bout with shingles. I too suffer from PHN and its pain that lasts way beyond the duration of shingles.

• Posted

Shingles that continues to effect you after the original infection is Post Herpetic Neuralgia (PHN). If you haven't tried it you may want to try L-Lysine which is an amino acid and/or Vitamin B-12, both are sold online and in drug stores .

The tiredness and exhaustion from PHN can last for months. I have aches and pains in my arms that can last a long time. You may also want to try witch hazel on the rash. Also the stress from Shingles/PHN can add to your tiredness and pain.

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.